If East Austria remains under Soviet occupation, is West Austria going to join West Germany?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The likely capital of West Austria would be Salzburg. I think it would be a lovely little state. I've been in Vienna several times and it's worth visiting. But the tours were all in German. I still remember going to a restaurant and ordering in German. I messed up one word for a menu item and the server took my German menu and gave me an English one with higher prices. I left without ordering. Let them go to the Russians!
Salzburg sounds like a great capital for West Austria. :) That said, though, if Austria reunifies after the end of the Cold War, is the capital going to be moved back to Vienna?

BTW, you should have called that Austrian server out for his BS. :( I would have personally complained to the manager since if I go somewhere to eat, I certainly don't expect to get swindled! :(

I cannot see the Western powers permitting any type of Union of Austria or part of Austria with Germany. In fact the Austrian State Treaty--the peace treaty between the wartime UN and restored Austria that saw the end of occupation, expressly forbade it, as had of course the Versailles Treaty (fat good that was). Interestingly the "Final Settlement" peace treaty between the "Big Four" and both Germanys in 1990 that allowed re-unification, did not ban any merger with another State and one wonders what Austria's position is regarding their 1955 treaty and current EU integration.
The EU isn't a federal state and thus shouldn't count for this, no?

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Salzburg sounds like a great capital for West Austria. :) That said, though, if Austria reunifies after the end of the Cold War, is the capital going to be moved back to Vienna?

BTW, you should have called that Austrian server out for his BS. :( I would have personally complained to the manager since if I go somewhere to eat, I certainly don't expect to get swindled! :(

The EU isn't a federal state and thus shouldn't count for this, no?
It will be by 2025 on the current timetable.

Apr 2017
Bayreuth
(...)BTW, you should have called that Austrian server out for his BS. :( I would have personally complained to the manager since if I go somewhere to eat, I certainly don't expect to get swindled! :( (...)
Sure. That is why every restaurant in Austria has two menus.
Because if you want to keep some little savings on the side - you just tell the IRS – that you made less money, because you served that items to German speaking people. Administrations and regulations were never a German thing specifically not in the food&service industry.

But besides that and being in the mood:
Tell you an open secret. Austria buys specific military equipment in moderate numbers.
Nobody knows for what they do need this - specifically in moderate numbers. A few planes and tanks, what do you want to do with this? They do have all that software but no hardware. You need more hardware as otherwise your software is quite useless, right? Specifically if you are a neutral country? On your own. Alone. Cut off from the rest of the world.
Wouldn't it be - an advantage - if - that whenever you like you could with a simple vote revoke the status of your country in this or that direction, that could bring you in a very interesting position, if you need even more software? Or that software flow could go into other directions. - There are plenty of options - with unforeseen results - if the conditions change.
That is why you should be very careful if you plan to declare war on the Netherlands. Yes. Netherlands we talk about now. Beautiful country. That 50.000 service members they got - that are tough guys - they can take on a Belgian super fortress, even without having any mountains in the Netherlands or much bigger forces without any military union.
It is like the Austrians - very daring people, too - them really think they can get onto Cuba if they would need to and that without a real navy. Remarkable.

But what was your question? About uniting with who? No, no, no. That would be against international treatments. There is no base for that in the Austrian constitution.
Austria is a neutral country. You can ask every Algerian about this (what is a soccer reference/pun,^^ don't do it, they might jump at you).

Similar History Discussions