If Germany only focused on defeating Britain instead of betraying Russia, would Germany have conquered Britain?

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The possiblity of Germany conquering the UK was remote, but the possibility of wearing down the British until they were forced to accept a negotiated peace treaty was real enough.
Throuble was, Hitler didn’t think he had the time, he perceived the Soviets as weak, but they were rebuilding, so he needed to attack them sooner rather than later.

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Germany betrayed Russia? It takes a long time to figure out who actually betrayed whom at that time.

Here is what Hitler wrote to his friend Mussolini the day before the invasion of Russia -

21 June 1941

Duce!

I am writing this letter to you at a moment when months of anxious deliberation and continuous nerve-racking waiting are ending in the hardest decision of my life. I belief—after seeing the latest Russian situation map and after appraisal of numerous other reports—that I cannot take the responsibility for waiting longer, and above all, I believe that there is no other way of obviating this danger—unless it be further waiting, which, however, would necessarily lead to disaster in this or the next year at the latest.

Both countries, Soviet Russia and England, are equally interested in a Europe fallen into ruin, rendered prostrate by a long war. Behind these two countries stands the North American Union goading them on and watchfully waiting.

Since the liquidation of Poland, there is evident in Soviet Russia a consistent trend, which, even if cleverly and cautiously, is nevertheless reverting firmly to the old Bolshevist tendency to expansion of the Soviet State. ...

I at least possess the one certainty that I will not then suddenly be attacked or even threatened from the East. The concentration of Russian forces—I had General Jodl submit the most recent map to your Attaché here, General Maras—is tremendous. Really, all available Russian forces are at our border. ...
Aside from this, Duce, it is not even certain whether shall have this time, for with so gigantic a concentration of forces on both sides—for I also was compelled to place more and more armored units on the eastern border, also to call Finland's and Rumania's attention to the danger—there is the possibility that the shooting will start spontaneously at any moment. A withdrawal on my part would, however, entail a serious loss of prestige for us. This would be particularly unpleasant in its possible effect on Japan. I have, therefore, after constantly racking my brains, finally reached the decision to cut the noose before it can be drawn tight.

...I have decided under these circumstances as I already mentioned, to put an end to the hypocritical performance in the Kremlin.

As far as the war in the East is concerned, Duce, it will surely be difficult, but I do not entertain a second's doubt as to its great success. I hope, above all, that it will then be possible for us to secure a common food-supply base in the Ukraine for some time to come, which will furnish us such additional supplies as we may need in the future. ..

It is conceivable that Russia will try to destroy the Rumanian oil region. We have built up a defense that will—or so I think—prevent the worst. Moreover, it is the duty of our armies to eliminate this threat as rapidly as possible.

I waited until this moment, Duce, to send you this information, it is because the final decision itself will not be made until 7 o'clock tonight.
With hearty and comradely greetings,

Your ADOLF HITLER

Adolf Hitler's Letter to Benito Mussolini Explaining the Invasion of the Soviet Union - Wikisource, the free online library

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Germany betrayed Russia? It takes a long time to figure out who actually betrayed whom at that time.

Here is what Hitler wrote to his friend Mussolini the day before the invasion of Russia -

21 June 1941

Duce!

I am writing this letter to you at a moment when months of anxious deliberation and continuous nerve-racking waiting are ending in the hardest decision of my life. I belief—after seeing the latest Russian situation map and after appraisal of numerous other reports—that I cannot take the responsibility for waiting longer, and above all, I believe that there is no other way of obviating this danger—unless it be further waiting, which, however, would necessarily lead to disaster in this or the next year at the latest.

Both countries, Soviet Russia and England, are equally interested in a Europe fallen into ruin, rendered prostrate by a long war. Behind these two countries stands the North American Union goading them on and watchfully waiting.

Since the liquidation of Poland, there is evident in Soviet Russia a consistent trend, which, even if cleverly and cautiously, is nevertheless reverting firmly to the old Bolshevist tendency to expansion of the Soviet State. ...

I at least possess the one certainty that I will not then suddenly be attacked or even threatened from the East. The concentration of Russian forces—I had General Jodl submit the most recent map to your Attaché here, General Maras—is tremendous. Really, all available Russian forces are at our border. ...
Aside from this, Duce, it is not even certain whether shall have this time, for with so gigantic a concentration of forces on both sides—for I also was compelled to place more and more armored units on the eastern border, also to call Finland's and Rumania's attention to the danger—there is the possibility that the shooting will start spontaneously at any moment. A withdrawal on my part would, however, entail a serious loss of prestige for us. This would be particularly unpleasant in its possible effect on Japan. I have, therefore, after constantly racking my brains, finally reached the decision to cut the noose before it can be drawn tight.

...I have decided under these circumstances as I already mentioned, to put an end to the hypocritical performance in the Kremlin.

As far as the war in the East is concerned, Duce, it will surely be difficult, but I do not entertain a second's doubt as to its great success. I hope, above all, that it will then be possible for us to secure a common food-supply base in the Ukraine for some time to come, which will furnish us such additional supplies as we may need in the future. ..

It is conceivable that Russia will try to destroy the Rumanian oil region. We have built up a defense that will—or so I think—prevent the worst. Moreover, it is the duty of our armies to eliminate this threat as rapidly as possible.

I waited until this moment, Duce, to send you this information, it is because the final decision itself will not be made until 7 o'clock tonight.
With hearty and comradely greetings,

Your ADOLF HITLER

Adolf Hitler's Letter to Benito Mussolini Explaining the Invasion of the Soviet Union - Wikisource, the free online library
Hitler's self justification for the invasion doesn't count for evidence of Soviet betrayal

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Very easy question.. No. Germany had not enough Navy... and not enough Air Force to land (and still less) to conquer Britain.. but for sure War would have finished in a draw..

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
I don't see how the German invasion was a betrayel of Russia. The whole point of German re-armament under Hitler was to invade the SU. Both sides knew the pact signed in 1939 was temporary. The German armed forces were simply no cdesigned to take on a island like Britain. Without an invasion of the real enemy, the Wermacht would have had no reason to exist.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Very easy question.. No. Germany had not enough Navy... and not enough Air Force to land (and still less) to conquer Britain.. but for sure War would have finished in a draw..
As Redcoat has said the possibility of a successful invasion of Britain (at least in 1940) was remote, although there was genuine fear of that at the time and they were nearer the action than we are. However, I don’t see how Britain could have indefinitely held off a Nazi Germany with all of Europe’s resources at its disposal.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
As Redcoat has said the possibility of a successful invasion of Britain (at least in 1940) was remote, although there was genuine fear of that at the time and they were nearer the action than we are. However, I don’t see how Britain could have indefinitely held off a Nazi Germany with all of Europe’s resources at its disposal.
Well they don't really have 'all of Europe's' resources at their disposal as such just occupy large junks of it.

They still doesn't create a navy.

But I don't see how Britain could win but equally how are Germany? especially as they will always face a huge threat to the East ,even if this remains an effective 'Cold War'.

Eventually a peace treaty would be negotiated just depends how 'favourable' or not.