If Germany was as powerful as the US during WW2, would the allies still have declare war on it?

Jul 2019
Germany
The reason people give me why the world won't stop all the US invasions, the coups, the deaths caused by it is because it is too powerful. According to them, money and trade is more important than a group of people being slaughtered by Americans thousands of kilometers away. That is how the US is able to get away with its evils.

I also asked the question: why was Germany and Japan stopped when they were doing the same thing and people say: it's because they were not as powerful as the US.

Now, if Germany and Japan had the same powers and did the same things they did except bomb Britain and the US, would the allies have declared war on it? Or would the world just turn a blind eye and think about all the money and trade they would be getting from both Germany and Japan?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Relative to the other world powers, the US was much less powerful in 1939 than it is today. If Germany was "only" as powerful as the US in 1939 Britain and France would have been more motivated to find other allies, most likely the Soviet Union. Britain, France, and the USSR in 1939 could have defeated the US, if the US was located in Central Europe with long vulnerable land borders and surrounded by enemies who were in bombing range.

In the here and now, there are many countries that hate the US or at least its actions in the world. These countries are free to enter into anti-US alliances. The problem is, most countries that hate the US are rogue nations that have few friends. The US, while often acting an arbitrary manner, still has many friends in the world, making it difficult to construct any anti-US alliance.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
The reason people give me why the world won't stop all the US invasions, the coups, the deaths caused by it is because it is too powerful. According to them, money and trade is more important than a group of people being slaughtered by Americans thousands of kilometers away. That is how the US is able to get away with its evils.

I also asked the question: why was Germany and Japan stopped when they were doing the same thing and people say: it's because they were not as powerful as the US.

Now, if Germany and Japan had the same powers and did the same things they did except bomb Britain and the US, would the allies have declared war on it? Or would the world just turn a blind eye and think about all the money and trade they would be getting from both Germany and Japan?
Germany and Japan were far and away more powerful than anybody else (in the air and on land) - there were on war footings and the rest of us were sitting pretty with our defence cuts and complacency. Hitler couldn't have done much more to provoke, they'd already appeased him twice before Poland

BTW what are these coups, invasions and deaths?

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
If Germany had been as powerful as the USA was in 1939, Poland would have kicked it's butt.
In 1939 the US Army was about as big as the Belgium army and only had a few tanks armed with machine guns.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I suspect he meant if in 1939 Germany was as relatively powerful as the US was either by the end of WW2 or now. Fair question, how far do you let practical realities affect your moral judgement?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If Germany had been as powerful as the USA was in 1939, Poland would have kicked it's butt.
In 1939 the US Army was about as big as the Belgium army and only had a few tanks armed with machine guns.
How much German territory could the Polonkadonks have grabbed in such a scenario?