If Jesus is to Make Appearance

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Suppose a god-like figure claiming to be Jesus is to make appearance. This Jesus figure will resemble the persona of Jesus described in the Bible; i.e. he would make claims that he is supposed to make as per Christian doctrines, he would be a miracle worker etc.

How would you receive him?

My curiosity primarily is how would the atheists coming from a Christian background react. What are the chances of them reverting to Christianity?

Additionally:

If you are a Jew, how would you react? Will he be considered the Jewish Messiah?
If you are a Hindu, will you consider him to be the prophesied Kalki Avatar?
If you are a Buddhist, will you consider him to the prophesied Maitreya?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
As an atheist, I don't have a problem with the existence of Jesus as a teacher. I only question the claims of divinity and supernatural abilities, which I suspect were added to the story later, between the death of Jesus and the writing of the gospels. If I were to meet Jesus, I suspect the most interesting part of the encounter would be learning how his message has evolved over the past 2,000 years. I suspect modern Christianity bears little resemblance to what he originally intended. Any miracles he performed I would probably attribute to some kind of parlor trick or magician's illusion. I doubt I would believe he was 2,000 years old. Rather, I'd treat him as an interesting character with an interesting story to tell.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
If Jesus came back today he would start by burning the Vatican to the ground. The Catholic Church is the antithesis of the message he tried to spread.

I can't speak about Hindus or Buddhists but the Jews would hardly consider Jesus to be the Messiah this time round because they never considered his first incarnation to be the Messiah.

Aug 2012
I would want him to define the scope of his powers, as well as explain if he views himself as a benevolent deity. If he is omnipotent and omnipresent AND actively claims to be a perfect being without sin, he should be held morally culpable for any illegality done in the name of his faith - as with his power he would have had the ability to stop it and yet didn't.
If he is as the old Gods, and is an imperfect being full of human passions and weaknesses, I would have no issue with him whatsoever, I would perhaps even like him. But if he appeared in this cruel, brutal, uncaring world and claimed to be its maker, claimed to be a moral paragon, I would tell him to his face that he was an immoral monster and needed to enforce and abide by the rules set down to man.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I'd remain a doubting Thomas at least for a while.

“Jesus answered and said to them: ‘Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, “I am the Christ,” and will deceive many.’ ” (Matthew 24:4, 5, NKJV)

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
quite frankly countless individuals have attempted something similar....

so any would be prophet/ son of god/ Jesus returned would need to provide some very solid evidence of his exceptional nature .... talk is cheap

and miracle workers are a dime a dozen especially in North America

A Modern-Day Miracle Worker

TV Weekly Now | Charlie Goldsmith is a Modern Day Miracle Worker in 'The Healer'

A faith healer tried to cure my disability - BBC Three

with all this competition, Jesus would have a hard time making himself heard

Kimberly is a gifted healer medium and she does miracles...she bring in the holy spirit and the angelic presence. Her website is: http://www.thehealingtrilogy.com

No less!!!!....

Oct 2016
Merryland
Bible prophecy suggests Jesus will essentially make a fly-by and exfiltrate the believers, leaving the rest of you to suffer through seven years of Great Tribulation, then returning surrounded by the Heavenly Hosts and reclaim Earth for the Kingdom of Heaven.

so if anyone shows up and claims to be He I will disregard, as Shtajerk suggested above.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Suppose a god-like figure claiming to be Jesus is to make appearance. This Jesus figure will resemble the persona of Jesus described in the Bible; i.e. he would make claims that he is supposed to make as per Christian doctrines, he would be a miracle worker etc.

How would you receive him?
I probably would not 'recieve' him .

My curiosity primarily is how would the atheists coming from a Christian background react. What are the chances of them reverting to Christianity?
All differently, depending on their background and where they are at now. I fulfill that definition, so personally, 0 chance .

Additionally:

If you are a Jew, how would you react? Will he be considered the Jewish Messiah?
If you are a Hindu, will you consider him to be the prophesied Kalki Avatar?
If you are a Buddhist, will you consider him to the prophesied Maitreya?
And, I think you will find , if they are an atheist they will see such a miracle worker as scamming and trickery.

lets face it, it doesnt take much to fool people. I seen better magic tricks than Jesus did done by entertainers .

Similar History Discussions