If Ming sea expedition never stops

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
YouLove – that all makes sense, but China was conquered by the Mongols. I think the Mongols liked China so much though, that they became absorbed by their massive numbers of people. China did regain Hong Kong in 1997, which is another growth after Tibet. I don't think Britian was in a position to back out of the agreement to give it back.
Having the largest ethnic group in the world (the Han), really does a lot to keep a nation alive.

Oct 2013
Canada
YouLove – that all makes sense, but China was conquered by the Mongols. I think the Mongols liked China so much though, that they became absorbed by their massive numbers of people. China did regain Hong Kong in 1997, which is another growth after Tibet. I don't think Britian was in a position to back out of the agreement to give it back.
Having the largest ethnic group in the world (the Han), really does a lot to keep a nation alive.
You can look at the Mongol problem from two perspectives:

1. The Mongols became Chinese first before conquering China. The Mongols conquered the Sinitic state of Jin, became Chinese, and then after 40 years of utilising Chinese warfare, tech, and talent as a Sinitic Dynasty, not Mongol, did they topple the Song Dynasty.

2. The Mongols indeed conquered China, but this follows my model where when an empire faces crises, their validity as a military power is put to the test and judged based on what happens. The Chinese rebounded from this racial-national crises by freeing themselves from the Mongol yoke and counterinvading. An alternate scenario involving a comparatively less virile and martial empire would mean it never rebounds from the crisis and cannot stand this existential test, and dies off or becomes a rump state.

The Han is the largest ethnic group because it is the greatest conquering ethnic group that is able force other ethnic groups who are racially different to accept being Han. Prior to mass Han conquest-migration southwards, can we really count what is now Southern China "Han?"

Southward expansion of the Han dynasty - Wikipedia