If Nazi Germany limited its ambition

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Note the famous Chinese saying: Harvest when the perspective remains positive.
Let's apply such principle to Nazi Germany.
Regaining lost territories from World War I might be good enough; note that Poland was created with such territories.
Let's assume a little more: Taking Austria as well.
Sudetenland was an alarming move.
If Adolf Hitler and his government stopped at that point, how might world history have developed?

Reactions: Futurist
Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
Hitler couldn't stop. Fascism requires an enemy against which to crusade. Otherwise, it just degenerates into authoritarianism.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
People forget WW2 got the world out of the Great Depression. Germany would be satisfied with its Sept 1939 boundaries and Japan would hold on to Manchuria and a piece of China proper without starting a war with the UK and US. The colonial empires would last longer. The world economy would improve slowly but there would be no economic boom in the 1950's The USSR would not control Eastern Europe and democracy would be limited to just a few countries. In other words the world of the 1930's would not look much different by 1960. After that, who knows?

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
People forget WW2 got the world out of the Great Depression. Germany would be satisfied with its Sept 1939 boundaries and Japan would hold on to Manchuria and a piece of China proper without starting a war with the UK and US. The colonial empires would last longer. The world economy would improve slowly but there would be no economic boom in the 1950's The USSR would not control Eastern Europe and democracy would be limited to just a few countries. In other words the world of the 1930's would not look much different by 1960. After that, who knows?
I'd expect the Nazi German regime to crumble in the late 20th century or at the very latest early 21st century in this scenario. If Nazi Germany would have conquered all of European Russia, its prestige could allow it to last much longer, but in this scenario, Nazi Germany doesn't have that same level of conquests. Thus, the German people might become dissatisfied with Germany's authoritarian and totalitarian government more quickly than they might otherwise have.

Reactions: Aethelstan
Mar 2019
Kansas
I have a strong feeling the Soviets would rolled the dice and tried to take Poland and Germany by the mid 40s. Who ends up on who's side would be an interesting thought experiment.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
In Japan, the military could not limit its ambition; in Germany, what kept Hitler and his regime aspiring for more
than they could handle?

Aug 2019
Lincolnshire
I have a strong feeling the Soviets would rolled the dice and tried to take Poland and Germany by the mid 40s. Who ends up on who's side would be an interesting thought experiment.
Maybe - if the Nazis had not developed nukes by then. I believe that it was their war effort which held their nuclear programme back. In the above scenario, Germany might well have been the first nation to have nuclear weapons, instead of the UK, Canada and USA.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
LOL! :lol: Not happening. The cautious Stalin won't be sparking any wars unless he actually has an extremely powerful accomplice such as Germany.