If Puerto Rico was given independence in the early 20th century, would it be a richer country today?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It would have turned similar to other Latin American countries. Its a rather huge surprise that many Puerto Rico people resist complete integration in United States although integration would benefit the entire population.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
It would have turned similar to other Latin American countries. Its a rather huge surprise that many Puerto Rico people resist complete integration in United States although integration would benefit the entire population.
I don’t have knowledge of significant political or military opposition to integration, as there was for instance in the Philippines, or, in other perspective, in Cuba.

What was that resistance that you are mentioning?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Looking at the other island nations of the Caribbean I imagine gives one a picture of hoe Puerto Rico would be, assuming it did not join Cuba with a communist revolution. After all, does Puerto Rico, on its own, have any additional resources over other island nations like the Dominican Republic?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I don’t have knowledge of significant political or military opposition to integration, as there was for instance in the Philippines, or, in other perspective, in Cuba.

What was that resistance that you are mentioning?
For the most of the history Puerto Rico has rejected the referendum of gaining statehood within United States from the status of Commonwealth. Although being the part of The USA, they don't vote in American election because the region don't have statehood.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
For the most of the history Puerto Rico has rejected the referendum of gaining statehood within United States from the status of Commonwealth. Although being the part of The USA, they don't vote in American election because the region don't have statehood.
Thanks, now I understood what you meant by resisting to integration.