If RFK had lived would he have been President?

Would RFK have been president had he lived?

• No

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Probably not

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Impossible to tell

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Almost certainly

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Definitely.

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Probably, but not necessarily in 1968. I don't know if RFK would have been able to overcome Humphrey's support among the Democratic super-delegates in 1968. However, if Nixon still wins in 1968, I could see RFK winning the US Presidency in 1976. He would have only been 51 years old in 1976 and if Watergate still occurs and Nixon is still forced to resign, the American public could still be hungry for change--and I think that the charismatic RFK could beat the largely unknown outsider Jimmy Carter in the 1976 Democratic presidential primaries.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, off-topic, but I figure that I might as well as this question here since I don't want to create a new thread just for this: Had some Democrat won the US Presidency in 1968, are we still going to see a 26th Amendment? Or is a more liberal-leaning SCOTUS going to allow the US Congress to forcibly lower the age requirements for voting on both the US federal level and the US state level from 21 to 18 years--thus eliminating the need for a constitutional amendment in order to achieve this?

Oct 2009
San Diego
I remember that period clearly-
RFK would have Won the nomination.

He was a vastly better public speaker- and by the time he was running JFK had already been canonized in the public's mind- He managed to unite both the liberal moderates, and the counterculture AND the black community.
We were still in the moon race, which was being broadcast from a place NAMED Kennedy-

And he would have beat Nixon- Humphrey was as annoying and unimpressive a public speaker as was Nixon- but Nixon could not hope to compete with RFK in a debate any more than he could against JFK.

You have to remember the tenor of the times. More and more Americans were more and more distressed about the Vietnam war.
People were not actually sick of the 'counterculture' yet- it was actually the back to back murders of RFK and MLK that made Americans start to feel like things were spiraling out of control and led to the riots in Chicago.

But All you have to do is LISTEN to RFK talking to the crowd in Indianapolis the night MLK was killed... he found out about the assassination on his way to give a political speech in the Black community- his staff wanted to call it off and the police told him there was liable to be riots and they could not protect him. But he felt that anyone who showed up needed to hear some words of comfort. He jotted down on a piece of paper some notes on the things he wanted to cover as they drove to the venue... and then Got up on a flatbed truck and found out the people there did not know about it yet.
And then he gave this intelligent, learned, and sympathetic speech- unwritten- unrehearsed. No stammering, no 'um's,- And the crowd could just feel that the poem he cited from memory was one that had comforted him thru the death of his brother.

All across the country in urban centers there were riots and protests the night MLK was killed. But there were none in Indianapolis.

Eloquence and erudition and genuine human sympathy have that kind of effect.

RFK was the dream of Camelot renewed- he would have won hands down.

Similar History Discussions