If Saddam would have defeated the 2003 coalition invasion of Iraq

Aug 2015
Earth
Big what if here I know, but if the Iraqi army had been better equipped, trained, led, etc. etc. and Saddam didn't alienate the Shia (assuming there was a general equality between the 2 branches (Shia/Sunni - also big what if), and ultimately beat the coalition in the first months of the 2003 invasion, how might the allies be perceived by their regional (Iran) and global (Russia, China) enemies? How far down the rabbit hole would the allies go, if they were suffering thousands of causalities in the initial weeks/months? - not to mention the public opinion war.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Big what if here I know, but if the Iraqi army had been better equipped, trained, led, etc. etc. and Saddam didn't alienate the Shia (assuming there was a general equality between the 2 branches (Shia/Sunni - also big what if), and ultimately beat the coalition in the first months of the 2003 invasion, how might the allies be perceived by their regional (Iran) and global (Russia, China) enemies? How far down the rabbit hole would the allies go, if they were suffering thousands of causalities in the initial weeks/months? - not to mention the public opinion war.
I've no idea of the political repercussions (other than catastrophic I imagine) but I do wonder whether the West could now accept casualties on the lines of WW2 unless its very existence were at stake.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
There would probably a second invasion - to avenge the losses, maybe even a talk about using the DRAFT to replenish the US military.

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
In such a scenario i cannot see either Bush or Blair surviving in office long.

Aug 2015
Earth
Would China see it in their interests to launch the pacific expansion, knowing the recent limitations of US fighting on 2 fronts at same time? My point being, would China see this as their opening to make incursions into Vietnam or islands in the South China Sea...?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I've no idea of the political repercussions (other than catastrophic I imagine) but I do wonder whether the West could now accept casualties on the lines of WW2 unless its very existence were at stake.
What about throwing several nukes on Baghdad, though?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would China see it in their interests to launch the pacific expansion, knowing the recent limitations of US fighting on 2 fronts at same time? My point being, would China see this as their opening to make incursions into Vietnam or islands in the South China Sea...?
What exactly would China have wanted in Vietnam back in 2003, though?