If the Byzantine Empire survives, is an eventual Byzantine-Russian Union/Commonwealth possible?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the Byzantine Empire survives, is an eventual Byzantine-Russian Union/Commonwealth possible? I'm thinking of something similar to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, but for the Byzantine Empire and Russia. I mean, they did have the same religion, didn't they?

Any thoughts on this?

Sep 2014
Texas
I believe so. Unlike the Catholic Regions, in Orthodoxy, each city or country had its own Patriarch. The Russian church was founded on the Byzantine church, and I can see the Russians envisioning themselves as the protector of Constantinople.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I believe so. Unlike the Catholic Regions, in Orthodoxy, each city or country had its own Patriarch.
Wouldn't that make a union less likely, though?

The Russian church was founded on the Byzantine church, and I can see the Russians envisioning themselves as the protector of Constantinople.
When do you think that such a union would occur? In the 1500s? 1600s? 1700s? Later on?

Sep 2014
Texas
Actually Orthodoxy allowed more flexibility AND one Patriarch did not try to impose himself on the other. The only wars the Orthodox nations fought were against the Sassanids, Arabs and Turks.

Jun 2017
maine
Perhaps--but as a Commonwealth (in the British sense, not the American). If the Byzantine Empire survived only as it was in 1453, Russia would be the dominant power.

Reactions: bedb and Futurist
Jul 2017
Srpska
No. Roman emperor sought to conquer. The setup of separate patriarchates in Orthodoxy is even worse for that goal than the one with the catholic church which is centralized, and still Germany, France, Italy, Spain for example were not in a union.
The whole idea of a church or religion providing military unity is foolish. Countries, kingdoms, have own strategic goals for survival and different enemies. There can be tactical alliances at times, but there can never be a common strategic defense plan unless one side decides to disappear.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania had common border. Century or so before de jure establishment of the Commonwealth these two states had been unified through personal union aka marriage between the rulers of these two medieval states. Where is the common border between the Eastern Roman Empire aka Byzantium and Russia? During the time of Sviatoslav of Kiev they had one, but this had been before christianization of Rus and long before the establishment of Moscow grand duchy, tzardom and empire. How you gonna unite two entities that are situated on different parts of the continent with enormous distance between them, two states that had nothing in common but a religion?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Absolutely not, the logistics of communication between Constantinople and Kiev are simply too difficult in the pre-modern world.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Absolutely not, the logistics of communication between Constantinople and Kiev are simply too difficult in the pre-modern world.
Not to mention that Kiev eventually lost its importance and the center of the Russian state went north, further increasing the distance.

Reactions: Futurist and macon