If the German monarchy is restored in the 1930s, does it survive in the long(er)-run?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Let's say that Hitler gets killed in 1923. This means no charismatic leader for the Nazi Party and thus means that the Nazis never obtain the same level of success during the Great Depression that they did in real life. Anyway, let's say that German conservatives create their own, non-Nazi dictatorship during the Great Depression and restore the German monarchy (possibly with Kaiser Bill's eldest grandson) in an attempt to provide the new German regime with some additional legitimacy.

Anyway, once democracy returns to Germany (possibly after a couple of/several decades), is the revived German monarchy going to survive or is it going to once more get abolished?

I mean, Spain's monarchy survived the fall of Franco, but it's unclear if this would have also been the case for Italy (had it stayed out of WWII and thus Fascism would have survived longer there) and Portugal (had the Portuguese fascist dictatorship restored the Portuguese monarchy). In turn, this makes me wonder if you think that Germany would have followed Spain's example in regards to this.

Any thoughts on this?

If the monarchy was established prior to the recovery of the Great Depression, I don't see why not. Germans were looking for something to rally around. They rallied around Hitler. Instead they could have rallied around a 'crown' and probably end up not having the WWII defeat (though they wouldn't know that).

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Let's say that Hitler gets killed in 1923. This means no charismatic leader for the Nazi Party and thus means that the Nazis never obtain the same level of success during the Great Depression that they did in real life. Anyway, let's say that German conservatives create their own, non-Nazi dictatorship during the Great Depression and restore the German monarchy (possibly with Kaiser Bill's eldest grandson) in an attempt to provide the new German regime with some additional legitimacy.

Anyway, once democracy returns to Germany (possibly after a couple of/several decades), is the revived German monarchy going to survive or is it going to once more get abolished?

I mean, Spain's monarchy survived the fall of Franco, but it's unclear if this would have also been the case for Italy (had it stayed out of WWII and thus Fascism would have survived longer there) and Portugal (had the Portuguese fascist dictatorship restored the Portuguese monarchy). In turn, this makes me wonder if you think that Germany would have followed Spain's example in regards to this.

Any thoughts on this?
Interesting idea here. It seems that those who like to advocate the war reparations as the root of all Germany's ills would have something to say about this alternate path. I'm looking forward to reading about that line of thinking.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the monarchy was established prior to the recovery of the Great Depression, I don't see why not. Germans were looking for something to rally around. They rallied around Hitler. Instead they could have rallied around a 'crown' and probably end up not having the WWII defeat (though they wouldn't know that).
So, basically, the restored German monarchy's prestige will significantly rise as a result of the recovery from the Great Depression?