If the invasion of Panama was wrong, why didn't the world protect Panama?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
There was no 'international outrage'. Why should anyone be outraged by freeing a country from the grips of a dictator who was indicted on charges of racketeering, drug smuggling, and money laundering?
Right, but he was also a CIA-backed dictator and stooge...when he slipped from his handlers, he was yanked back hard.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
But how much criticism is there today? The OP makes it sound like outrage about this event is still current. And I don't buy that the invasion was wrong.

BTW--the answer is The Monroe Doctrine. Panama is in the US sphere of interest even more than most Latin American countries, as it owes its existence to the US.
How many signatories are there to the Monroe Doctrine? I’m betting that if such a document exists, there are only one or two signatures and not those of contemporaneous presidents or dictators or what-have-you. The “doctrine” is pretty toothless.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
How many signatories are there to the Monroe Doctrine? I’m betting that if such a document exists, there are only one or two signatures and not those of contemporaneous presidents or dictators or what-have-you. The “doctrine” is pretty toothless.
Sarcasm? You can't think the Monroe Doctrine is a treaty. No way, you're just joking, right?

Reactions: David Vagamundo