If the July 20th Plot succeeds, which Eastern European countries that became Communist in real life are likely to avoid this fate in this scenario?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the July 20th Plot succeeds, which Eastern European countries that became Communist in real life are likely to avoid this fate in this scenario?

In real life, the Soviet Union was able to spread Communism to the Baltic states (which it outright annexed) as well as to East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. Yugoslavia and Albania also became Communist but AFAIK this didn't have that much to do with the Soviet Union; rather, AFAIK the Yugoslav and Albanian Communists were able to seize power largely on their own.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
In real life, the Soviet Union was able to spread Communism to the ...
To be honest, the base is flawed, IMHO.

URSS "wasn't able to spread" but imposed Communism in the region.

The only two countries not liberated by Red Army, also were Red Army didn't actually entered (and stayed, for a shorter and longer period ... ) were Albania and Yougoslavia.

Both Communist countries, but by "their own". It's also the reason their trajectory was different from the one of URSS and it's "satellites" very early.

Reactions: Futurist

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
As to Your July plot, and it's consequences in the east, I'd say that it is not to East we should look at but to West.

And IMHO, in July, it was too late to have significant influence.

Red Army was already with a foot in Poland and Romania.

That triggered two very important actions: 1 August - Warsaw uprising and 23 August - Romanian coup (and U-turn).

Both actions, although against Germany, where related to the advance of the Red Army, were prepared and seen as a chance (a last chance) to aquire a status after the war permitting Poland and Romania to keep an independence once the war over.

A change of leadership in Germany wouldn't have stopped them, wouldn't make Polish or Romanians change their plans.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Red Army was absolutely instrumental in liberating Yugoslavia. Yugoslav Communist leaders later tried to minimize the Red Army's contributions (for obvious reasons) but without the Red Army I doubt Tito's Partisans would have been able to finish the job.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
The Red Army was absolutely instrumental in liberating Yugoslavia. Yugoslav Communist leaders later tried to minimize the Red Army's contributions (for obvious reasons) but without the Red Army I doubt Tito's Partisans would have been able to finish the job.
In my previous posted, I wasn't trying to diminish Red Army's role.

It's just that the Romanian U-turn totally changed the southern part of the front: in one week-10 days, Germany lost an entire army corp, almost without a fight for the Red army and in September (two-three weeks that is) Red Army was already in Hungary, having Romanian army as ally and making contact with Tito's partisan army.

That, together with the Warsaw uprising, that blocked a significant amount of of German troop (but not fighting Red Army) was "easing" Tito's partisans task.

All I'm saying is that I do not think any of all these would have been really different with the plot succeeding.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I don't think it would have made much difference. None of the Allies would have made a separate peace with a post-Hitler government and the war would have continued as before.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The July plotters wanted an armistice in the West and to carry on fighting in the East
that was delusional
however for the sake of the scenario , let's go with it
the Western allies would want the Wehrmacht to evacuate all conquered territories ,
the Nederland ,Greece , Yugoslavia , Denmark , Norway , Czech , Slovakia and Yugoslavia , certainly .....Austria possibly

The Soviet army would carry on fighting until it come in contact with the Western forces camping on the Rhine
the totality of Germany become communist ,
considering the betrayal of the war coalition , Stalin decide to hold no punch
fact on the grounds will dictate the policy
Greek communist guerillas help the soviet army to take all of Greece in deliberate fighting with British troops
in spite of a few battalions of American and British troops Denmark is " liberated "

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The war would still go on, the Western Allies held the German military as every bit as guilty for German aggression as the Nazi leadership, there is no way that they would leave them in control.
The plotters would have to accept unconditional surrender, or fight on. In both cases the war would end with the Soviet Union holding the territory they did in the actual timeline

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What was the Red Army's role in this--other than liberating Belgrade and Vojvodina, that is?

The war would still go on, the Western Allies held the German military as every bit as guilty for German aggression as the Nazi leadership, there is no way that they would leave them in control.
The plotters would have to accept unconditional surrender, or fight on. In both cases the war would end with the Soviet Union holding the territory they did in the actual timeline
Once the plotters would realize that their goose is cooked, though, could they allow Britain and the US to have easy access to Germany so that they will end up occupying as much German and German-occupied territory as possible (so that the Soviets won't get there)?