If the Philippines became Muslim, could they have eventually united with Indonesia?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the Philippines would have become Muslim (either as a result of a later Spanish conquest or as a result of Muslim trades reaching the Philippines earlier), could they have eventually united with Indonesia?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Only if they were colonized by the dutch. The main population centers of Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) are more closely related to the peoples of Malaysia than the Philippines. The main reason they weren't united is because of they had separate colonial rulers.

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
I am not that familiar with Indonesian politics, but my superficial understanding is that there was considerable animosity between the Javanese who led the resistance to the Dutch and other ethnic groups such as the Aceh, Kalimantan and other for whom ethnicity trumped religion. Other Malay people in the region didn't have much concept of "nationhood" until colonial powers gave them an education in the concept.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Only if they were colonized by the dutch. The main population centers of Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) are more closely related to the peoples of Malaysia than the Philippines. The main reason they weren't united is because of they had separate colonial rulers.
Agree. Indonesia itself exists as a single nation because it was under one colonial ruler, so a muslim Philippines, or the muslim sultanates within the territory of present day Philippines would only unite with them if they were also under the same imperialists. Without European presence there would be several muslim sultanates, most of them probably Malayized, as it functions as a lingua franca among muslims in South East Asia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Agree. Indonesia itself exists as a single nation because it was under one colonial ruler, so a muslim Philippines, or the muslim sultanates within the territory of present day Philippines would only unite with them if they were also under the same imperialists. Without European presence there would be several muslim sultanates, most of them probably Malayized, as it functions as a lingua franca among muslims in South East Asia.
For the record, I'm not ruling out the idea of an eventual European conquest of the Philippines. I just don't want it to come early enough to prevent the Philippines from becoming Muslim.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
The distance between them would presumably be much less than for Greece and Egypt, no?
I actually looked at a map to try to figure out the distance, they all pretty much quote from major airport to major airport., but from looking at a map, I'd say the areas along the edges of each country are pretty primitive if not inhospitable. I don't see the cultural exchange happening to a degree that the two countries would feel the desire to unite.
Look at the Middle East, those countries are often at odds. Both of them being Muslim, doesn't mean they would get along well.