If the Rich Had Done What Jesus Said?

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Jesus said "Sell all that you have, give the money to the poor, and follow me".

My broad-brush view of history is that it is as story of the vast majority being too poor, with a very small number having too much.

If the rich had given their wealth to the poor, the poor would then have been able to afford to eat, to work better, and to get some education.

This could lead to some disruption in society, as the poor (now not so poor) would begin trying to exercise political power.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
It depends on one's interpretation. Jesus never said it was wrong to be rich. Conversely, feudalism was justified via the Bible.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
It depends on one's interpretation. Jesus never said it was wrong to be rich. Conversely, feudalism was justified via the Bible.
Yes he did say it is wrong to be rich.

"“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. "
"For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”
"Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. "
"“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
again this is interpretation. nothing in the Bible precludes wealth, or being wealthy, just the devotion to wealth.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
These are direct quotes I have provided. The point of this discussion is to ask what would have happened if the rich had followed what Jesus said ie "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth" and "Sell your possessions, and give to the needy".

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
These are direct quotes I have provided. The point of this discussion is to ask what would have happened if the rich had followed what Jesus said ie "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth" and "Sell your possessions, and give to the needy".
While Bible does accuse the wealthy of worshipping their wealth, let's not forget that God himself granted Solomon great wealth for his wisdom. So wealth in the Bible can be interpreted as both a blessing and a curse.

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
We don't need to wonder what would happen. Christians in Jerusalem actually did that. They sold all property and gave money for the poor. Their understanding was that second coming of Jesus will be very soon. They become destitute, could not support their families. Apostle Paul was collecting alms for them throughout Roman Empire.
So if rich did as Jesus told they would become hindrance for society, homeless supported by alms. We know it, because this actually had happened. :D

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
And this is interpretation too. does that bother you?

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
And this is interpretation too. does that bother you?
What is interpretation? The words that Jesus said, as quoted in the Bible are " "Sell you possessions and give to the needy". I am asking the question "What if the rich had done that?"

What do you mean by interpretation?

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
While Bible does accuse the wealthy of worshipping their wealth, let's not forget that God himself granted Solomon great wealth for his wisdom. So wealth in the Bible can be interpreted as both a blessing and a curse.
But I am talking about what JESUS is reported to have said in the New Testament, and simply asking what would have happened if what he said had been carried out.