If the seas were like the rivers

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
If the seas were like the rivers, serene calm and like a bed.
Decline that the so-called new continents were already discovered many centuries ago, since the two Iberian countries took their initiative.
What do you think?

Tambem quero aprender.
O saber não ocupa lugar.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
If you're asking 'Would the Iberians have discovered the New World earlier if the oceans had been calm like rivers?' I don't think so. One thing that made Columbus' voyage possible was the recent invention of the caravel, a ship ideal for long voyages. The Vikings only made it to Canada by island hopping from Scotland to Iceland to Greenland to Canada. They lacked the technology to make the trip in one voyage without stopping for resupplies along the way.

Oct 2009
San Diego
The only way the seas could be like the rivers is if there was little to no wind.

Waves are made by wind. Calm is the absence of wind. With no wind, you are not SAILING anywhere. And 3000 miles is a mighty long way to ROW.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
If you're asking 'Would the Iberians have discovered the New World earlier if the oceans had been calm like rivers?' I don't think so. One thing that made Columbus' voyage possible was the recent invention of the caravel, a ship ideal for long voyages. The Vikings only made it to Canada by island hopping from Scotland to Iceland to Greenland to Canada. They lacked the technology to make the trip in one voyage without stopping for resupplies along the way.
No friend, what I mean, if the seas were like the rivers, there had never been discoveries in Portugal and in Spain, other peoples of other nations had already made these discoveries before.
An aside the name America does not come from an Italian name Americo is that Portugal and Spain Italy has many citizens with the name Americo.
Or I'll be wrong (from the name Américo was born América name)

Jun 2015
UK
I don't get the question though.

Infante Henrique was able to make ships that better withstood the North Atlantic conditions, and soon tropical conditions. Medieval ships couldn't stand up to the ocean currents or storms as much.

The ships henrique invented were designed to combat high winds and waves of oceans.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I don't get the question though.

Infante Henrique was able to make ships that better withstood the North Atlantic conditions, and soon tropical conditions. Medieval ships couldn't stand up to the ocean currents or storms as much.

The ships henrique invented were designed to combat high winds and waves of oceans.
Are you talking about caravel?

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Amerigo Vespucci was the map maker. He could name the continents after himself if he wanted to. There was no law about it.

The Vikings weren't going to come around and rough him up for throwing shade on them, and neither were the Indians(who discovered America about 12,000 years ago).