If the U.S. would've won the War of 1812, how many Americans would've moved to Canada?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the U.S. would have won the War of 1812 (very unlikely, I know), how many Americans would have moved to Canada afterwards?

I know that the U.S. was extremely successful in settling its vast living space during the 19th and 20th centuries in real life. However, a lot of those territories were sparsely populated while Canada might not have been. Thus, I am wondering if American settlers and their descendants would have eventually been able to outnumber the existing population of Canada in this scenario.

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
So, US lost in 1812. How come Britain didn't press their then advantage home, and try to capture America back?
The British were engaged in fighting Napoleon on the continent. The number of troops they had at the start of the War of 1812 was miniscule compared to that involved in the American Revolution. By the end of the War 1812 the numbers had increased, but they were stretched more thinly than the Revolutionary War. A massive number would have been needed for a decisive win. The war was virtually a stalemate and it would have been like the U.S. involvement in Vietnam. The war ended before Waterloo, so that was the main British concern, along with the rest of the empire. I don't think the British ever conceived of the idea of trying to subdue the Americans again. That ship had passed.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Is there anything in Canada that 19th century Americans couldn't find in the US? (Besides a colder Canandian climate?). I suspect most Americans (99%) would have been content to remain south of the Great Lakes and 49 degrees N latitude.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The British were motivated by profit, not territory, in this period.
So, seeing that the cost of garrisoning the USA after occupation would far outweigh any profit gained the idea was always a complete non-starter.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Is there anything in Canada that 19th century Americans couldn't find in the US? (Besides a colder Canandian climate?). I suspect most Americans (99%) would have been content to remain south of the Great Lakes and 49 degrees N latitude.
Well, what exactly could Americans find in the Midwest, interior South, and West that they could not find near the east coast? Land? If so, couldn't land have been an incentive for Americans to move to Canada as well?

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
The period before the War Of 1812 is notable for the large number of US settlers who crossed the border to Upper Canada, encouraged by cheap land grants by the British authorities.