If the US invasion of Iraq was wrong, why didn't the world stopped it?

Status
Closed
Mar 2019
Unknown
It destabilized the country, led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and created ISIS and most nations in the world were against it but if most nations of the world were against it, why didn't these nations save Iraq and the people there and stopped the US, through force if necessary?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
How would you actively stop the US, do you think?

We know the GWB govt couldn't be reasoned out of it, since that was tried.

WHO do you in concrete terms propose should have actively confronted the US, to try to stop it? What do you think they could have done, and should have done?

Reactions: macon and Menshevik

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Do you know how sanctions actually work? How does the UN sanction the United States when it has a veto? Individual countries have sanctioned the US in the past and it simply ignored them. The International Court of Justice has found the US liable in the past and it simply ignored it. The World Trade Organisation has ruled against the US in the past and it simply ignored it. Any attempt to get the US to obey international law gets ignored. The same thing happens with all the permanent members of the Security Council. They effectively have a free pass to do whatever they want.

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Denmark
Sanction the US, send the world's military to Iraq to stop the US forces, threaten it with serious repercussions if it continues on with its invasion.
The rest of NATO would probably think once or twice before going to war against the United States.

And IMHO, fighting a war against the US in the Middle East would have been the recipe for a third world war.

Reactions: Futurist
Mar 2019
Unknown
How does the UN sanction the United States when it has a veto?
I am not asking the US to cooperate or why it hasn't cooperated, I am asking why the world didn't stop it.

If it veto's what ever the world throws at it, fine, ignore it, this is after all a "US vs. the world" scenario.

Mar 2019
Unknown
And IMHO, fighting a war against the US in the Middle East would have been the recipe for a third world war.
Then why did the world complain if it didn't want to do anything, especially in Europe?

From what I heard, there was a surge of anti-American sentiments during the invasion but sentiments are just sentiments.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I am not asking the US to cooperate or why it hasn't cooperated, I am asking why the world didn't stop it.

If it veto's what ever the world throws at it, fine, ignore it, this is after all a "US vs. the world" scenario.
Who and how do you propose?

And it's not just about making the US desist. If accomplished - what then, how do you expect this to work. A US thwarted will be asking at least very pointed question about what to do with Iraq instead? And who is going to first confront the US, then sort out Iraq in your opinion?

1551522713224.png

Status
Closed