If the US invasion of Iraq was wrong, why didn't the world stopped it?

Status
Closed
Mar 2019
Unknown
There is no such entity as "the world". Our planet consists of individual countries who all act in their own self-interest.
So this map is a lie?

Blue = in opposition to an invasion
Orange = participating in the invasion of Iraq
Yellow = in support of an invasion
Grey = no official standpoint

Reactions: Gvelion

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Then why did the world complain if it didn't want to do anything, especially in Europe?

From what I heard, there was a surge of anti-American sentiments during the invasion but sentiments are just sentiments.
They did plenty.

Beginning with giving the lie to the US neo-con "political 'realists'" in the US government who in the run-up to that war simply assumed all US allies would simply fall in line.

You can begin there with totting up who did what.

But your answer here at least starts narrowing down what you are after. You blame the Europeans.

Mar 2019
Unknown
A US thwarted will be asking at least very pointed question about what to do with Iraq instead?
The world doesn't have to answer to the US but if I'm pretty sure the answer is obvious "Leave it alone".

And who is going to first confront the US, then sort out Iraq in your opinion?
So many of the world's governments where against it so I'm sure they will all speak at the same time and nobody is going to sort it out except for the Iraqis.

Nov 2018
Denmark
Then why did the world complain if it didn't want to do anything, especially in Europe?

From what I heard, there was a surge of anti-American sentiments during the invasion but sentiments are just sentiments.
The political reasons for not attending have probably shifted from country to country. But letting out a lot of hot air costs nothing and you can hold the high ground to your voters.
And there will always be someone who has anti-American feelings, the reasons is changing with the seasons.

Nov 2018
Denmark
No, I didn't. I was only asking him because he's from Denmark and the Europeans were the most vocal about it.
He is a she.;)

Little Denmark is actually one of America's most faithful allies, although Trump is not satisfied with our financial contribution.

As far as I remember the only opposition in Denmark to the Iraq war were the usually left-wingers.

Last edited:
Status
Closed