If the USSR wasn't such a bad thing, then why did it collapse?

Jun 2019
St.Petersburg
I'm pretty sure that you've never lived through the 1990's and early 2000's.
1990's were an inevitable consequence of complete collapse of soviet economy in the 80's. A lot of workers were busy doing absolutely no
useful work in the USSR, and they could not integrate into the free market immediately. On the other hand the state had no money for unemployment
compensations. Of course, the civil war in Georgia increased these disasters dramatically.
But keeping late soviet status quo could lead to much more sad consequences.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Excuse me, I do know what collectivism is and thinking you can judge me instead of explaining your meaning is a mistake.
Then you can answer my question rather than evading it woth some irrelevant nonsense.

I don't know you. Any judgement I make about you is based solely on what you write.

Last edited:
Jun 2019
St.Petersburg
No single slave will ever say they were better before emancipation, but millions of Ex-Soviet citizens that are old enough to remember that period, miss the Soviet Union, especially its social programs, overall stability and lack of stress over life.
Social orientation of USSR is definitely exaggerated. In fact is was often dummy. Yeap, you could get a flat from the state for free, waiting only 10-15 years, but only if your initial accommodation was really crazy. 19 sq m room for 3 persons was considered good enough, not needing any enlargement.Stability in poverty can not be a dream. And, of course, soviet people had a lot of stress every day. Any purchase - foods, books, shoes, train tickets (in summer), etc. was a real quest, needing a lot of efforts to get acceptable goods.