If there were no Black Death, would there have been more wars?

Apr 2016
there
Could the Crusades have retaken the Holy Land with more people/troops/resources, and would Ottoman have risen up as it did without much opposition in the region?
It seems that you are asking more than one question. Regarding the Ottomans, one can argue that there was opposition to them. Much of the European opposition was ineffective. Indeed, the Balkan Christian entities proved to be excellent pupils, in terms of learning how to become effective vassals and, ultimately, subjects. Curiously, the Ottomans' greatest challenges to their expansion and rule came from other Turkic entities in Anatolia.

One of the Ottoman's achievements, according to Kinross, is their strategy for occupation. There was the element of toleration and the understanding that a more complete sense of unity and assimilation could take place later. This seemingly worked well with regards to the conquests of Nicaea and Nicomedia, where wholesale conversions to Islam were taking place within twenty years.

Additionally, Ottoman troops were relatively disciplined with regards to the treatment of people who were to be subjected. It would typically be made clear that the Ottomans' complaint was with the various peoples' rulers, not with the people themselves.

And, finally, it's been said that the Ottomans' taxation was less onerous than the taxation that was previously in place. In that sense, perhaps the Ottomans are the ideological forefathers of America's Republican Party.

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
Weren't the Crusades before the Black Death?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Although there is some controversy among historians the traditional view is that the crusades lasted from the Council of Clermont in 1095 until the fall of Acre in 1291. As the Black Death first reached Europe in 1346 and lasted until 1353 followed by sporadic outbreaks right up until the eighteenth century it does seem the OP makes little sense. Perhaps notgivenaway can explain!

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
The Holy Wars (a/k/a Crusades) actually lasted past 1291. I believe the Nicopolis Expedition (1396) had the designation.

If the OP means would the Europeans, in absence of the Black Death, have recovered Palestine-no. They were no longer trying to.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Wouldn't make a difference. Crusades were fading by the time of the first major outbreak.
I would agree. Besides even if there were many crusades, in many places, in wide timelines, like Domnall Ballach recalled us, usually when we talk about crusades we implicitly talk about the ones numbered from one to nine by the historiography.

Jun 2016
Roman Empire
I would agree. Besides even if there were many crusades, in many places, in wide timelines, like Domnall Ballach recalled us, usually when we talk about crusades we implicitly talk about the ones numbered from one to nine by the historiography.
There were only four though? and the fourth doesn't count because the people who did it were a holes.