If there's no WWI and Russia engages in another war with the Ottomans and/or Japan, would Germany feel compelled to intervene?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If there's no WWI and Russia engages in another war with the Ottomans and/or Japan at some point in time (since those two areas were the most likely flashpoints for a new war for Russia), would Germany feel compelled to militarily intervene in this war on the anti-Russian side? Also, what about Austria-Hungary? Would it also feel compelled to militarily intervene in this war on the anti-Russian side?

The logic behind such a German/Austro-Hungarian military intervention is that if Russian aggression is allowed to go unchecked anywhere, Russia could subsequently engage in aggression elsewhere.

I'm curious about this because this could theoretically be a trigger for an alternate WWI in this scenario.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The side with time travelling ninjas win.
The traveling ninjas get stuck in a Japanese cafe and thus aren't actually available for battle, though! :D However, they do get to enjoy some very nice Japanese tea, sushi, and mochi! :)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If there's no WWI and Russia engages in another war with the Ottomans and/or Japan at some point in time (since those two areas were the most likely flashpoints for a new war for Russia), would Germany feel compelled to militarily intervene in this war on the anti-Russian side? Also, what about Austria-Hungary? Would it also feel compelled to militarily intervene in this war on the anti-Russian side?

The logic behind such a German/Austro-Hungarian military intervention is that if Russian aggression is allowed to go unchecked anywhere, Russia could subsequently engage in aggression elsewhere.

I'm curious about this because this could theoretically be a trigger for an alternate WWI in this scenario.
BTW, my question here would likewise extend to Britain. Specifically, would Britain feel compelled to militarily intervene in such a war on the anti-Russian side.

Mar 2016
Australia
Why be curious about something that didn't happen and will never happen, though? You're essentially being curious about a fictional scenario that you've made up. I don't quite understand it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why be curious about something that didn't happen and will never happen, though? You're essentially being curious about a fictional scenario that you've made up. I don't quite understand it.
So, alternate history in all its regards is a complete waste of time?

Oct 2019
United States
There's no possibility of an expeditionary force from Austria-Hungary. Even if the parliament, most of whom were not Germans, would authorize the force, the empire would almost immediately melt into Slavic uprisings. As for the Reich, they had decided on a ruinous foreign policy, geared toward competing with Great Britain. In your scenario, if the Reich had the wherewithal as early as the 1890s not to antagonize Britain, then yes they could have invaded Russia - knowing full well the Danubian monarchy couldn't be counted on - and the government would need to humble themselves before Great Britain for permission, which I think they would give at that time. This agreement would certainly mean the end of all commercial aspirations for the Reich, but in exchange a hegemony on the continent. However, they signed their death warrant by competing with the English navy in the 1900s, so in your scenario I believe diplomacy would be quite impossible, and Great Britain would declare war on them in a heartbeat. No, I don't see the possibility of it.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There's no possibility of an expeditionary force from Austria-Hungary. Even if the parliament, most of whom were not Germans, would authorize the force, the empire would almost immediately melt into Slavic uprisings. As for the Reich, they had decided on a ruinous foreign policy, geared toward competing with Great Britain. In your scenario, if the Reich had the wherewithal as early as the 1890s not to antagonize Britain, then yes they could have invaded Russia - knowing full well the Danubian monarchy couldn't be counted on - and the government would need to humble themselves before Great Britain for permission, which I think they would give at that time. This agreement would certainly mean the end of all commercial aspirations for the Reich, but in exchange a hegemony on the continent. However, they signed their death warrant by competing with the English navy in the 1900s, so in your scenario I believe diplomacy would be quite impossible, and Great Britain would declare war on them in a heartbeat. No, I don't see the possibility of it.
In real life, though, Austria-Hungary didn't experience mass uprisings until 1918--and that was four years into World War I. As for Germany, having a different Kaiser could have helped. Have the future Kaiser Bill die young in or before 1880 and you should be good. :) Heck, even having Kaiser Bill die as late as 1895 might still theoretically work for this. :)

Oct 2019
United States
Well, an expedition would have required total commitment from parliament and the populace. AH was a minority German state by this time, unlike in Bismarck's day, 20 years before universal male suffrage. In the event the Reich is the belligerent, I believe AH would certainly bow out of such a huge undertaking. A good chancellor could have arranged for this, but Bismarck's heirs insisted on provoking Britain.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, an expedition would have required total commitment from parliament and the populace. AH was a minority German state by this time, unlike in Bismarck's day, 20 years before universal male suffrage.
A-H was 20 years away from universal male suffrage?

In the event the Reich is the belligerent, I believe AH would certainly bow out of such a huge undertaking.
Even if A-H will fear that it might be next on Russia's hit list?

A good chancellor could have arranged for this, but Bismarck's heirs insisted on provoking Britain.
You mean good German-British ties and even a German-British alliance?