If, without WWI, Russia still experiences a revolution and its peoples try to secede, could this trigger an alternate WWI?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If, without World War I, Russia still eventually experiences a revolution (as a result of Nicholas II's incompetent rule) and various ethnic groups (people) in Russia try to secede from Russia afterwards, could this trigger an alternate World War I?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which ones and when?
The Poles, the Balts, the Ukrainians, possibly the Finns, and maybe some or all of the Caucasians as well. I am skeptical about the Caucasians due to the fear of the Turks, though--with the possible exception of the Azerbaijanis.

As for when, I'm presuming that Poland would rush for the exits immediately while the others might wait a bit and then secede if they'll see that their concerns are not being sufficiently addressed by the new Russian government--or, alternatively, if Russia experiences a radical turn and goes Red if the previous, more moderate Russian revolutionary government would have become unpopular.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The Poles, the Balts, the Ukrainians, possibly the Finns, and maybe some or all of the Caucasians as well. I am skeptical about the Caucasians due to the fear of the Turks, though--with the possible exception of the Azerbaijanis.
Why would the Caucasians be afraid of the Turks?
As for the rest, I doubt any other power would intervene unless it looked like it would topple the government.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The rest of them (non-Christians) were actually fleeing to turkey from Russia.
Yes, but the Christian Armenians and Georgians would have probably feared the Turks.

OK.

Anyway, I don't see Russia's ethnic minorities causing a collapse of the Russian government. Of course, a Bolshevik coup could do that.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If, without World War I, Russia still eventually experiences a revolution (as a result of Nicholas II's incompetent rule) and various ethnic groups (people) in Russia try to secede from Russia afterwards, could this trigger an alternate World War I?
BTW, I meant to write "peoples" rather than "people" in parenthesis here. My point here should have been sufficiently clear in any case, though.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Futurist - can we dial back on the number of alternate history threads please. It's fine to create a few, but we would normally expect the majority of a member's threads to be discussing actual history.

Reactions: Futurist