If, without WWI, Russia still experiences a revolution and its peoples try to secede, could this trigger an alternate WWI?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Don't you believe the movement of the army towards the Belgian frontier was observed in real time?

If it was a ruse... well the German nightmare of "taking a punch" simultaneously from the East and West would have been realized, I mean, there were no war plans that resembled France 1939 in that era. The context of what the Great Powers' military staffs believed on tactics is important. Or did I mis-read the meaning of that terse question?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Don't you believe the movement of the army towards the Belgian frontier was observed in real time?

If it was a ruse... well the German nightmare of "taking a punch" simultaneously from the East and West would have been realized, I mean, there were no war plans that resembled France 1939 in that era. The context of what the Great Powers' military staffs believed on tactics is important. Or did I mis-read the meaning of that terse question?
Technically speaking, though, Germany could have tried playing defense on both fronts--could it not have?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Technically speaking, though, Germany could have tried playing defense on both fronts--could it not have?
The general staffs had very few examples of campaigns that were won by taking the first hit. They were Foreman rather than Ali (1974, Kinshasa).

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Hehe, we'd need a Heavyweight bout or possible Middleweight bout from the Hagler-Hearns years for each of the phases of 100 years' war.

Now, to extend the Rumble in the Jungle metaphor, the Entente at Verdun absorbed more punches than Muhammad Ali in the first 9 rounds in '74?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hehe, we'd need a Heavyweight bout or possible Middleweight bout from the Hagler-Hearns years for each of the phases of 100 years' war.

Now, to extend the Rumble in the Jungle metaphor, the Entente at Verdun absorbed more punches than Muhammad Ali in the first 9 rounds in '74?
Yes, very possibly! ;)

BTW, an interesting question for you, K: In the event that there's no WWI, Russia still eventually experiences a revolution (and perhaps a civil war as well), and Poland (and perhaps some other territories as well) still successfully break away from Russia, might Imperial Germany (which survives in this TL due to there being no WWI) aim to launch a limited war against the newly independent Poland in order to conquer a Polish Border Strip, expel the Poles from there, repopulate this strip with Germans, and thus "cut off" the Poles in Poland from the Poles within the German Empire? Basically, I am thinking of an Imperial German equivalent to what Turkey did with the Kurds in northern Syria last year--specifically capture some of their border territories in order to "cut off" the Syrian Kurds from the Turkish Kurds. Just like Turkey has a Kurdish separatist problem, Imperial Germany has a Polish separatist problem--hence the possible perceived need from both of their perspectives for such a military solution to their separatist problems.

Any thoughts on this, K (and others)?