If you could live in any past civilization, what would it be?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
A Victorian era English gentleman from the 1880s. I have huge estates in India and Africa, from its wealth I am living a respectable life in London riding horse, travelling in a carriage, visiting the opera and taking advantage of pretty ladies in their massive skirts. :)
I would prefer to be some kind of consulting detective in the same period, solving crimes from the comfort of my drawing room.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
A Victorian era English gentleman from the 1880s. I have huge estates in India and Africa, from its wealth I am living a respectable life in London riding horse, travelling in a carriage, visiting the opera and taking advantage of pretty ladies in their massive skirts. :)
I see a lot of advantages of this time period. The ability to travel freely without passport, there were still some seldom areas of the world, I'd like to see the Vaudeville era in the early 1900's.

Oct 2017
United States
I would like to live before in prehistory haha. I could actually even do that today, by living off the land paleo style! Maybe even join or form a tribe as well.

My opinion is that it would generally be most favourable to live in the most advanced civilizations of any time period, provided you weren’t an unfortunate victim of it like a slave or outcaste, how much your chances of being born or becoming one in it would need to be calculated or gambled depending on the historical circumstances & cultures.

I’m most inclined toward BetterCallPaull’s opinion, that especially after the enlightenment, scientific & industrial revolutions, nothing sure beats modern civilization at the turn of this millennium (20th & 21st centuries C.E. respectively). In fact, with the oncoming climate change, the turn of the 2nd & 3rd millenniums C.E. may just turn out to be the best time human civilization & progress will ever be.
What if the turn of this millennium will turn out to be the very Golden Period of humanity, far ahead enough from the uncivilized cultures of previous centuries, yet far enough beforehand to be able to enjoy a possibly vulnerable yet still healthy natural environment? If humanity is indeed facing an upcoming apocalypse, even if gradual, this turn of the millennium may well be the only one people across the globe celebrate together.

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
To live in pretty well any past period I would have to be guaranteed a few things -
1. To be reasonably wealthy, but not so prominent as to be mixed up in any dangerous rivalries for power.
2 To have life-long excellent health - no involvement with the period's medicine.
3. To have life-long perfect teeth - no period dentistry thank you.

I would love to visit and observe mediaeval England, but to live there (even with those conditions) is another matter.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
It would be a rare (although there were) time when it wasn't could to be rich.

For instance 1930's England?

The Harrovians were Peter Wagner and Thomas Norwood Armitage "Tim" Dyson, who had arranged to be at Grace Gates at 2 pm, where Wagner's father would pick them up and drive them to Russ Hill, the Wagners’ country home for the weekend. he other three boys were George Salmon, Jack Catlin, and George Young, 13-year-old pupils at the local primary school. They had visited the dentist that morning and decided to skip school to earn money at Lord's by carrying luggage and returning hired cushions for the deposit.

It was used as a symbol of the inequality of British society of the time.

However Peter Wagner is dead within 18 months of this picture from a tropic disease contracted as he travelled to join his father in India. Tim Dyson goes to Cambridge joins his families stock brokers, marries but suffered from mental illness for much of his life and dies in an psychiatric institution.

The three 'village boys' all lived unremarkable lives having families etc infact later in life when asked to recreate the picture one of the boys (now a old man) refused as he claimed they were never 'toughs' ie street kids and while never rich his parents worked very hard to ensure that their kids were well fed, went to school etc.

Similar History Discussions