If you could watch a real battle, what would it be.

Jun 2017
UK
If you could watch any battle in history, like a paperview. the real battle in itself. what would it be? and your reasons why.

For me:

* Thermopylae
* Kursk
* cannae

All cover different areas. all epic.

Aug 2015
beijing
in first grade they showed us a real battle during the iraqi invasion of kuwait. i think as long as we don't have closeups it will be relatively similar to modern combat footage we watch. to answer the question i would want to watch fuengirola, grunwald, or austerlitz

Perhaps Caligula's battle against Neptune. It would be quite amusing to see these poor soldiers out collecting seashells in their helmets and stabbing the water with their spears. I always wondered if it was an amusing holiday for them, or if they actually felt offended by the ridiculousness of it.

1. The Battle of the Catalaunian Fields, between Aurelian and Tetricus, in 274:

The Latin sources claim that Tetricus in some way betrayed his own army to Aurelian out of fear of his own troops. I'd like to see a) if that was truly the case, b) if so, how did he betray them, and c) how did an army without an emperor ultimately fight in those circumstances.

2. The Battle of the Margus, between Diocletian and Carinus, in 285:

The Latin sources claim that Carinus was betrayed by some of his officers. He was killed by one of his tribunes, and after the battle Diocletian rewarded Carinus' praetorian prefect/co-consul Aristobulus for his 'services rendered' by keeping him in his posts and eventually rewarding him with the urban prefecture and an unusually long tenure as a the prestigious proconsul of Africa. There is also some reason to think that the future emperor/Constantine's father Constantius, as the governor of Dalmatia, also betrayed Carinus. But also, some of the sources state that Carinus was winning or had already won the battle. So I'd love to know what exactly went down, and find out how Diocletian managed to wrong-foot Carinus in that situation.

3. The Battle of Edessa, between Valerian and Shapur I, in 260.

The sources are very divided on the matter of how did Shapur manage to capture the emperor Valerian.

4. The Battle of Misiche, between Gordian III and Shapur I, in 244.

Did Gordian get killed in battle or was he betrayed by his praetorian prefect, the future emperor Philip the Arab? The Roman and Persian sources are divided, although I suspect the Byzantine accounts are correct when they give the rather mundane reason that Gordian fell off his horse.

5. The Battle of Satala, between Galerius and Narseh, in 297/8.

Galerius' campaign against the Persians is mired in vagueness, but it was such an important war. It allowed the Romans to effectively avenge themselves on the Persians after their capture of Valerian. They defeated the Persians in Armenia, captured members of the royal family and harem, invaded southern Mesopotamia and forced the Persians to agree to a humiliating peace treaty, the terms of which would not be properly contested until the 340s.

6. The Battle of Abrittus, between Decius and Cniva the Goth, in 251.

The army of Decius found themselves being drawn into a swamp, and Decius and his son Herennius were both killed, Herennius by an arrow. Again, the sources are vague (a classic problem for anyone studying the third century). Typical for the period, it was also claimed that the future emperor Trebonianus Gallus, then the governor of Moesia, in some way betrayed Decius. I want to know what went down.

Similar History Discussions