If you were a Balt (Lithuanian, Latvian, or Estonians), would you have preferred to become part of the German Empire or remain part of Russia?

Would you have preferred to become part of Germany or Russia if you were a Balt?

• Become part of the German Empire

• Remain part of (a non-Bolshevik) Russia

Results are only viewable after voting.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If you were a Balt (Lithuanian, Latvian, or Estonians), would you have preferred to become part of the German Empire or remain part of Russia (not a Bolshevik Russia, though) if those two were the only available options for you?

As for me, I would have probably preferred to become part of the German Empire since it was wealthier than Russia (and this could have meant a lot of investments in the Baltic states) and also probably less capable of significantly altering the demographics of the Baltic states since there are simply much less Germans than there are Russians.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, I have to admit that there is something romantic about both the Hanseatic League and the Teutonic Knights:

There's also something romantic about Latvia and Estonia since they are (or were in the early 20th century) one of the very few non-Germanic Protestant-majority territories in Europe:

(Both the Netherlands and Denmark are Germanic--as are the Transylvanian Saxons.)