If you were in charge of Russia and wanted to expand into Ukraine, how much Ukrainian territory would you take?

Dec 2017
-------
Read this information of Ukraine, it might help, Kiev Rus was Ukraine and they spoke old Slavic language which has more similarities with Modern Ukrainian than Russian , here you go it's Ukraine.Kievan Rus | historical state
There was no Kievan Rus. Kievan Rus is the term created by historians in the 19th century. There was Rus state that included territories of Belarus, north-western Russia and 2/3 of present day Ukraine minus southern-eastern and southern territories of present day Ukraine . I was writing about Ukraine within its current borders. Moreover, Rus was a loose state with 2 or 3 competing centres Kiev, Novgorod (Russia) , and possibly Polotsk (Belarus) The state existed between Oleg rule and Yaroslav the Wise rule - a relatively short period of time. Approximately between 890AD-1054AD. So read about history of Ukraine and you may know something.

Reactions: macon
Dec 2017
-------
Partition to pre-ww2 borders with Poland so you can blame Poland, a nato ally too. Same with Belarus.
I don't blame anyone in the context. After Riga treaty (1921) Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania controlled western part of Ukraine for 18 years - a tiny period in history. I am writing Ukraine as an independent state within its current borders appeared in 1991. There was no state named Ukraine prior to 1918 to begin with. There was a small region known as Ukraine in the Kingdom of Poland, when Poland controlled Ukraine after 1569.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
If I were in charge of Russia, I would take all of the Ukraine. Why not? It was part of the Russian Empire and the USSR. That goes for all other territory stripped from the USSR in 1991. Of course I'm not in charge of Russia, but if I was, I'd take it all. Who's gonna stop me? I got nukes!:mad:

BTW I put Commonwealth of Independent States and Commonwealth of Dependent States through Google translate and this is what I got. They are identical meaning the West is trying to deceive the world. They are not independent states in my Russian interpretation !

Содружество Независимых Государств
Содружество Независимых Государств
Sodruzhestvo Nezavisimykh Gosudarstv

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If I were in charge of Russia, I would take all of the Ukraine. Why not? It was part of the Russian Empire and the USSR. That goes for all other territory stripped from the USSR in 1991. Of course I'm not in charge of Russia, but if I was, I'd take it all. Who's gonna stop me? I got nukes!:mad:
Half of Ukraine was pro-Western even before 2014, though.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Russia took exactly what it wanted to take: Crimea. Donetsk and Lugansk are only hostages to soften Ukrainian government. Inept EU does not count. Taking more would mean urban guerilla and nobody wants so counter that.

Russia did it masterfully.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
If I were in charge of Russia, I would take all of the Ukraine. Why not?
Because people are not sheeple although they may appear so and because controlling tens of millions of people who in big part hate you is not another war simulation on a computer.

Reactions: Futurist
Dec 2017
-------
Half of Ukraine was pro-Western even before 2014, though.
When half of Ukraine was pro-western? During Khmelnitsky's upraising? No. During pan-Slavic movement in the mid of 19th century that took place in Croatia, Slovenia, Czechia, Slovakia, eastern Galicia/Transcarpathia (western Ukraine) resulted in opposition to Austro-Hungarian rule? No .
Back then and until at least WWI western Ukraine was russophilic.
Galician Russophilia - Wikipedia
During Volyn massacre in the 40s? Also, no. Western Ukraine became anti-Moscow when Russians sent them NKVD in 1939-1940 and western Ukrainians were forced into collectivisation withmany were deported to Kazakhstan and Siberia.
Today, western Ukraine is pro-western. Central Ukraine too. At times it feels as ifUkrainians think that a membership in any union will be a solution to their socio-economic probems and escape from Russian influence. Even when you tell them that Switzerland, Norway, Iceland - successful countries - are not EU members. Solve your own problems yourself and you will be invited without asking for acceptance.

Last edited:

Dir

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Ukraine is Russia. Ukraine mans Borderlands. It's a Russian borderland. All of it should be Russia.

None! It will be a burden. Ukraine is a shadow of it was during soviet era in terms of industrial, research and military potential. Entire country made a contribution in the development of Ukrainian SSR. Russia should not take any. Russia has many problems of its own.
I have already said that reproaching Ukrainians with antipathy towards Russia at the moment is the same as reproaching Russians with antipathy towards Germany in 1942 or 1943

To consider that all Russian-speaking Ukrainians are supporters of Russia and antipathies of Ukraine is the same as counting all English-speaking Irish as admirers of Great Britain and haters of their own country

In fact, Russia's aggression which began in 2014 highlighted the attitude of Ukrainians towards the country. There are simple statistics even on the problematic Donbass. Of the 3.5 million refugees from the region occupied by Russia (this is half of Donetsk and Lugansk regions), 3 million settled in non-occupied 23 regions of Ukraine - and only 0.5 million settled in Russia

Recently, Russia has published the number of residents of Donbass who have applied for Russian passports, which Putin is ready to distribute there left and right. Such inhabitants are about 2 thousand. That is, 0.1% of the current population of the region

In the Ukrainian troops half of them are Russian-speaking citizens of Ukraine. And they are fighting with the Russian forces. So, I would not be in a hurry to give Russia that part of Ukraine where there are a lot of Russian speakers. Russia can slip on this very much - as it has already slipped in the Donbass over the years