If You Were Incharge of the History Channel

Jul 2013
Texas
Ratings!!! Ratings!!! Sometimes my faith in Americans plunges to the depths of the abyss.
If it were just Americans causing the ratings plunge, the History Channel would still be worth a dang in other countries.

Don't fault the people paying for the programs for wondering what kind of return they'll get; fault the people who aren't interested in history to begin with.

I'm just saying, the difference in revenue could keep a lot of historians employed, writing books and making documentaries to be put online.

Apachewarlord

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Hippy town U.S.A.!
I'd, ya know, make it about history.

I'd probably try to organize it so that there are three main shows, Asia, Europe, and Africa, and have many seasons for each one, advancing through history. Once North America breaks from Europe than I'd begin having that its own show as well. And then when South America does. In situations like WWI and WWII I wouldn't combine the shows, I'd just have them continue together, with each show focusing on what was happening specifically in their area.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I'd simply change the name. What's really bugging people here is less then content, than the disconnect between the content and the heading.

Then there's a question if history shows can make commerically viable television, at affordable production costs? Quite possibly not...

PM96

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
California
I'd simply change the History Channel to a completely different name. Unfortunately, truly educational and informative programming just doesn't sell well...

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Don't we already have an ongoing thread about the history channel?

I'd introduce new programs, that are about history, but not about Hitler. Pretty innovative, huh?
I wish they still showed Hitler documentaries. Now it's all about aliens.

Tuthmosis III

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
the middle ground
I'd simply change the History Channel to a completely different name. Unfortunately, truly educational and informative programming just doesn't sell well...
With sadness, I agree with you and Larrey here. Plenty of documentaries on YouTube these days... ;)

Aug 2011
Texas
Don't fault the people paying for the programs for wondering what kind of return they'll get; fault the people who aren't interested in history to begin with.
It's a safe bet. The type of produced programs are a no brainer. No channel is without one and are nearly dominated by reality shows. Entertaining, sure. Quality programming, nope. Hmmm....

Maybe a compromise can be reached here? A reality show based around history. Maybe in time we can take the DNA of some towering figure from world history and clone them, if possible, and document their life as they grow up. Kind of like the movie "The Truman Show".

I can see it now: "Growing up Napoleon"... or "Alexander versus the World"... or "Cheopped: Pharaoh Khufu's Greek delicatessen primer"... or "Temujin: How to positively influence people by killing them"

Geeze...

Belloc

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
USA
You pretty much need to watch CSpan now, since they feature history lectures on the weekend.

Sep 2012
Argentina
5 or 6 years ago History Channel was still about History. I don't know when it turned into "that", but I haven't seen an actual history docummentary in it for ages.