If you were to write a book on any historical topic, what would it be?

Mar 2016
Australia
This is in a hypothetical scenario where you have the necessary knowledge, experience and ability to publish your work. Assume any practical restriction is out of the way and you can write whatever you want, so long as it is factual. What would you write?

For me personally I'd probably write a book on the history of British aristocratic social elites and their presence in government and the military in the early 20th century - specifically the two World Wars; for some reason a very specific topic that has interested me.

Sep 2017
United States
What kind of book? A story set within the time period/dealing with a specific element of a historical piece? Or more of an educational/research-based writing?

Aug 2012
The Death of Warren G. Harding, as I believe there is so much about it which is incredibly shady and, for the purposes of a narrative, could make the suggestion that foul play was involved with some credibility behind it. I would also be interested to interview people from San Francisco, some of whom have stories about the death of the President. In one case that he died from bad alcohol at a speakeasy and was transported back to his hotel via a secret tunnel. In another, it is claimed that Florence Harding was seen by a hotel employee quickly pouring her husband's glass of water down the drain. Silly stories, but entertaining.

It could also cover the wider aspects of the Ohio Gang and their various scandals. Including the instance wherein Harding was throttling one of his underlings in the Oval Office. It's an incredible story of corruption, with a central player who was personally honest yet seemed to surround himself with the worst kind of crooks and con artists.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I suppose that one of my top topics would be a book that will discuss demographic trends in the US and in various US states and US cities--especially in regards to race/ethnicity, place of birth, urbanization rate, et cetera.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the war of the Spanish succession !

It got everything ,
modern technology just around the corner
a world war across three continents
absolutism against elected representation
climate change ....the little ice age
the victory of good finances against authoritarian grab
boiling intellectual ideas

Sep 2017
United States
A historical work of non-fiction, discussing a topic, with proper referencing and everything.
Ah, alright. Well, I'd write on the military of the Western Roman Empire from the split until its fall. It's always a topic I've been interested in and I'd love to know more.

I was going to say a story focused on an Italian Roman in the late WRE military, being a minority in your own army and such, but for non-fiction, I'd just like to explore that area in general.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I would love to write a book on the complicity of the German people in the rise of the Nazi party. Not to be judgmental but for once and for all answer the question, what were the various factors at play that seemed to allow such an organization to dominate a nation the way it did.

And are there lessons to be learned from this event

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Ah, alright. Well, I'd write on the military of the Western Roman Empire from the split until its fall. It's always a topic I've been interested in and I'd love to know more.

I was going to say a story focused on an Italian Roman in the late WRE military, being a minority in your own army and such, but for non-fiction, I'd just like to explore that area in general.
Hugh Elton, v. II?

I'd love to do a general study of Byzantium 1025-1204, but with more focus on 1075-1150. The latter period is not usually seen together but needs to be, since most of the material for its first four decades was produced ca. 1150. It would set Alexios in a longer period, since in most scholarship he is either seen as the end of the old way of doing things in Byzantium or the beginning of the Komnenoi. B