If you were to write a book on any historical topic, what would it be?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Hmmm... It would probably bore most people to tears, but I'd love to write something about the genetic bottleneck and near extinction if the Fjord horse in the late 1800's (national horse of Norway) and the political unrest when the government forced cross breeding with a Døle horse stallion, Rimfakse... whose offspring were described as having bad temperaments and “tedious”, “silly” legs (a big deal if you rely on this horse to plow your land and then alternatively be ridden)... there was a spell of terrible political unrest called “Rimfakse Strife” or “Rimfakse Rebellion” until one last Fjord stallion was found in a small village called Stryn. This Fjord (Njål 166) was the father of all the modern fjord horses (supposedly, DNA shows he had some help from another stallion, possibly because it was almost impossible for the poor guy to be bred so much)...

It's just interesting that riots would break out over a horse... :think: ... and that after being thought extinct, one last stallion with pure blood (or two) was found.

Apr 2019
United States
I would enjoy writing about ranking the most powerful empires ever. It would explain in detail the different aspects of the empire and why it made it on the list. It would also have claims and counterclaims to why it is ahead or below another civilization.

Apr 2019
United States
For what it's worth, I especially find huge population movements to be fascinating--whether the move of Americans from the eastern US to the western US, the African-American Great Migration, or the massive waves of immigration to the US before the 1920s and after the 1960s (with the former bringing a lot of Europeans to the US and with the latter bringing a lot of Hispanics and Asians to the US).
I also enjoy migration and seeing how different cultures assimilated and moved around, creating new civilizations. I also enjoy seeing how language spreads.

Apr 2019
United States
Ah, alright. Well, I'd write on the military of the Western Roman Empire from the split until its fall. It's always a topic I've been interested in and I'd love to know more.

I was going to say a story focused on an Italian Roman in the late WRE military, being a minority in your own army and such, but for non-fiction, I'd just like to explore that area in general.
I also enjoy the Romans

Feb 2019
California
This is in a hypothetical scenario where you have the necessary knowledge, experience and ability to publish your work. Assume any practical restriction is out of the way and you can write whatever you want, so long as it is factual. What would you write?

For me personally I'd probably write a book on the history of British aristocratic social elites and their presence in government and the military in the early 20th century - specifically the two World Wars; for some reason a very specific topic that has interested me.

The age of Louis XIV.

Jun 2014
US
The development and growth of industry and capital in Pittsburgh from the end of the Civil War until the start of the Great Depression and the corresponding influx of various immigrants from Europe and the American South who came to fulfill their version of the American Dream. I would focus on the lives of the latter as much as the titans of capitalism.

Mar 2012
Probably a book on the economic development of Germany and the Northern seas from the 11th century to the 16th century. Particularly dealing with Guilds, banking, and mercenary competition with Vikings and other pirates.

If this were posted in the Lounge: The sex lives of young attractive Dutch women in the 21st century, and their punishments. With photos. 19.95€

Jun 2014
US
Probably a book on the economic development of Germany and the Northern seas from the 11th century to the 16th century. Particularly dealing with Guilds, banking, and mercenary competition with Vikings and other pirates.

If this were posted in the Lounge: The sex lives of young attractive Dutch women in the 21st century, and their punishments. With photos. 19.95€
The 11th-16th Guilds and Hanseatic League is most interesting. It could be argued that it is the building blocks for today's most successful economies. I remember a course as an undergrad freshman that addressed this very topic. A combination of economics, polity and history. A great triad to study.