Illegitimate royal children who were the designated heirs to a throne

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
MY answer to this question: Why couldn't bastards inherit titles? lists a large number of European monarchs who were of Illegitimate birth, and monarchs who were accused of being illegitimate, and cases were persons were barred from inheriting thrones because they were allegedly illegitimate, and attempts to make illegitimate children heirs to thrones, etc., etc. All except the first four were after AD 1000. The latest person of illegitimate birth to become the legal heir to a European throne was born as recently as 1898.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

BTW, do you know of any royal claimants (as in, after the relevant monarchy was abolished) who made their illegitimate child their heir?

Jan 2017
Italy, EU
Ferdinand/Ferrante of Naples. Alfonso V of Aragon and Sicily conquered the Kingdom of Naples and considered it a personal success rather than a state attempt to re-unite the Kingdom of Sicily. He therefore left the original kingdom of Sicily to his legitimate son and the other Sicily (naples) to the illegitimate son he had with his mistress (Ferdinand).

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I would say William the Conqueror still counts. He was an illegitimate child yet was designated as an heir by his father, Duke Robert I.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I would say William the Conqueror still counts. He was an illegitimate child yet was designated as an heir by his father, Duke Robert I.
But he was designated heir to a mere duchy, not a kingdom. I don't think it is usual to talk about the throne of a duchy. And being the descendant of Dukes doesn't make someone a member of a royal family like the OP specified. Nobody knows if the ancestors of Rollo the founder of Normandy were kings, or jarls, or commoners back in Scandinavia. William's mother was the daughter of Fulbert, a common townsman. William's paternal grandmother Judith and more remote female ancestors seem to have had royal ancestry generations before them, but not recent enough to make them royalty, let alone their descendant William. Teh nearest King in William's family tree was King Robert I of France, a great great great great great grandfather, and the next nearest king was King Pepin of Italy, a great great great great great great great great grandfather

So William was of illegitimate noble birth, not illegitimate royal birth.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions