Imjin War

Dec 2018
East
Mangam Hwacha
2302_3744_399.jpg
(망암 변이중 화차, 시연발사 ‘성공’)<-this is korean news

This hwacha was made by mangam byunijung(망암 변이중) in imjin during the imjin war.

During the Imjin War, about 300 were made.

Unlike a rocket, it shoots through a gun like an Wagenburg.

This hwacha used in battle of haengju
(Battle of Haengju - Wikipedia)

Mangam hwacha gun shot videos
0:55~2:00
<- korean videos

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Yeah that was Pyon Ijung's hwacha. My understanding is that the hwacha used at the battle of Haengju were of this type, and not of the standard rocket or arrow-firing type.

It was essentially a mobile bastion fitted with a bunch of gun barrels to be used in makeshift or mobile fortifications like a wagon fort.

I think those were sungja-ch'ongt'ong gun barrels which were the standard handgonnes of the time.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Rocket technology in Korea seems to have largely taken a minor role since the early-mid 1500s, or at least it's rarely mentioned after that in the Annals.

It's still mentioned and described in some detail in the manuals and treatises though.

Last edited:

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
To continue from the other thread:

Sorry, I don't know when you asked me, so I don't think I can give you the answer you want.

Do you mean the war between Joseon and Japan in 1592?(Imjin War)

This was a time when the tactics and strategies of the Joseon army were exchanged.

The army usually preferred defensive and guerrilla warfare in the mountains.

And the Navy preferred naval battles centered on close-range artillery.

Or are you talking about Joseon's strategy from 17c-19c?

If you're talking about the Joseon army of this time, most of the Joseon's army was armed with a matchlock musket.

Finally, during Japanese occupation resistance to talking, 1910 and 1945.

Resistance fighters used a lot of bolt-action gun and mouser pistols.

I am sorry for not giving you a definite answer. :crying:
Yeah since the Choson government troops were undermanned and underequipped due to a long period of peace as well as financial problems, a lot of the defense fell to the uibyong or guerrillas.

The navy used a variety of tactics which included (relatively) long-range bombardment and close combat.

Yeah after the Imjin War Choson transformed its military into one based on musket volley fire and rigorous drilling.

Dec 2018
East
Joseon Rocket used in Imjin war(a little). but It is not hwacha.

a3a3e27090e9f6d06161274656318695e05e41457330df15180346d6999714ac4699ea69baa519a356ed56bf199408...jpg
(https://namu.wiki/w/신기전#s-1.2.1) <- korean page

this name is singijeon=hwajun=fired off arrows(신기전, 화전).
The Joseon navy used rockets to burn Japanese ships.

"08-July (Extension) [August 14th, Gregorian calendar]
They rushed forward and fired off arrows and arrows, and they were like wind and thunder.
The enemy's ship was set on fire and shot at the enemy."

Lee sun shin`s diary 난중일기

Last edited:
Dec 2018
East
most of Joseon government troops is actually similar to the conscripts.
so Joseon uibyong(guerrilas) and Joseon government troops is little different.

The different is
Joseon uibyoung`s general = a local yangban(similar aristocrat, but aristocrat and yangban is different thing.)
Joseon government troops`s general = a general appointed by the government

And whether it was uibyoung or government troops, the government eventually controlled it.

This is because the administrative power of the Joseon government was enough to receive regional reports even during the war.

Dec 2018
East
To continue from the other thread:

Yeah since the Choson government troops were undermanned and underequipped due to a long period of peace as well as financial problems, a lot of the defense fell to the uibyong or guerrillas.

The navy used a variety of tactics which included (relatively) long-range bombardment and close combat.

Yeah after the Imjin War Choson transformed its military into one based on musket volley fire and rigorous drilling.
that`s right. Joseon army transformed musket after the Imjin War.

after the Imjin War second Qing dynasty-Joseon war movie battle scene
1:40~2:55
<- Korean videos

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Yeah Choson was still struggling to get back on its feet when the Manchu invasions occurred, but they did well enough to impress them.

Dec 2018
East
in my personal opinion
Joseon army in second Qing-Joseon war is good look.
but Joseon government in second Qing-Joseon war is didn't get a good look.
because commanders who experienced the Imjin War to control the war either died of old age or died during the first Qing-Joseon War.

but it is only my personal opionion. :)

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions