Imjin War

Dec 2018
East
and There is Joseon`s Navy strategy and turtle ship have many article in Korea.

One of the most impressive was approach the japanese ship.
and boarding tactics after shoot grapeshot(조란환) with Hyunja-cannon(현자총통).

Last edited:

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Joseon Rocket used in Imjin war(a little). but It is not hwacha.

View attachment 14150
(https://namu.wiki/w/신기전#s-1.2.1) <- korean page

this name is singijeon=hwajun=fired off arrows(신기전, 화전).
The Joseon navy used rockets to burn Japanese ships.

"08-July (Extension) [August 14th, Gregorian calendar]
They rushed forward and fired off arrows and arrows, and they were like wind and thunder.
The enemy's ship was set on fire and shot at the enemy."

Lee sun shin`s diary 난중일기
Can you give the Hanja or Han'gul for that passage? I always assumed hwajon referred to incendiary arrows, not rockets. Did he actually use the term shingijon?

most of Joseon government troops is actually similar to the conscripts.
so Joseon uibyong(guerrilas) and Joseon government troops is little different.

The different is
Joseon uibyoung`s general = a local yangban(similar aristocrat, but aristocrat and yangban is different thing.)
Joseon government troops`s general = a general appointed by the government

And whether it was uibyoung or government troops, the government eventually controlled it.

This is because the administrative power of the Joseon government was enough to receive regional reports even during the war.
Well yeah the guerrillas were loyal to Choson, just organized independently. The government and its troops often worked with them.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
and There is Joseon`s Navy strategy and turtle ship have many article in Korea.

One of the most impressive was approach the japanese ship.
and boarding tactics after shoot grapeshot(조란환) with Hyunja-cannon(현자총통).
Most of the Choson cannons were ch'onja, chija, hyenja which were roughly equivalent in bore to a European 14-pounder culverin, 9-pounder demiculverin, and 5-pounder saker. Against ships they fired giant arrows which would have had a greater ability to pierce the wooden hulls than a simple round shot.

Heh I've done a lot of my own research on the turtle ship.

Wow! You guys have amazing knowledge

@momodora123 @Haakbus

Would you also know the reason for the Imjin War? What caused it? Any political reasons or simple imperial ambition?
Hideyoshi had just unified Japan and had megalomaniac aspirations. He wanted to conquer China, and to get there he had to go through Korea. The reason he was initially successful in Korea was because of the Choson dynasty's poor military.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Would you also know the reason for the Imjin War? What caused it? Any political reasons or simple imperial ambition?
Keep in mind that during the 1st Japanese invasion, Korea wasn't even the main Japanese target, it was China. Hideyoshi's main goal was subduing the Ming. Why? Well, it seems Hideyoshi inherited this plan from his former master, Oda Nobunaga who himself expressed desire to conquer China shortly before his death in 1582. It is likely that Hideyoshi, after unifying Japan, wanted to solidify his legacy. It's not only China that Hideyoshi planned to subjugate, he also sent a Shimazu to the Ryukyu in 1590 basically to confirm Hideyoshi's dominion over the Ryukyu Kingdom and in 1591 he even threatened the Spanish in the Philippines saying that they should come and submit to him or risk a Japanese attacks. He also demanded submission from the Taiwanese.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
As for the turtle ship, there were probably never any more than ten or so at the very most in the entire country, even after the war. The turtle ship appears to have been largely seen as something unusual Yi Sunshin did and wasn't particularly popular among other commanders.

Most of the warships were two-decked battleships and single-decked auxiliaries.

Dec 2018
East
Can you give the Hanja or Han'gul for that passage? I always assumed hwajon referred to incendiary arrows, not rockets. Did he actually use the term shingijon?
bluekb_316974_1[518139].jpg
신기전과 화전의 모습입니다. 이처럼 화전 또한 작약통 심지에 불을 붙여 쏘았으며, 적진에 완전히 도달한 후 폭발하여 불길이 퍼지는 방식였습니다. 더 이상 조선시대 사극에서 화살에 벌겋게 불이 붙어 날아가는 일이 없었으면 합니다. 그 아래는 소환으로 일종의 돌대포알입니다. - 오마이포토

It's my mystake. Sorry ㅠㅠ

As far as I asked someone who studied Joseon, I was wrong.

화전(火箭) 하나가 밀덕(密德) 토굴에 떨어지자 조금 뒤에 붉은 불꽃이 하늘로 치솟았으며, 불길이 번져 거의 다 태웠다.

When a hwajeon fell into a mundeok cave, a red flame soared to the sky, and the flames spread and almost burned.

국조보감
한국고전종합DB 모바일

군기를 새로 마련한 내역〔軍器新備秩〕
화약(火藥) 1백 근
연환(鉛丸) 5천 개
화전(火箭) 50개
화전죽(火箭竹) 50개
화전기(火箭機) 20좌(坐)

the details of a new military flag
100 rounds of gunpowder
5,000 annual coins
50 hwajeon
50 hwajeon-juk
20 hwajeon-ki

각사등록
한국고전종합DB 모바일

Because of this phrase, I thought the "shingijon" was called "Hwajeon."

1) Hwajeon also explodes because it contains gunpowder.

2) Through Hwajehonjuk and Hwajeonki, I thought it was a new invention, but this is just my idea.

In the end, shingijeon is not called Hwajeon, but it distinguishes between a new one and a new one, as shown in the picture.

I admire your knowledge.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Is that quote from the Nanjung Ilgi or the Imjin Changch'o?

I translated the list (I'm really familiar with the terminology):

New Weapons Provisions:
100 pounds of gunpowder (화약/火藥)
5,000 lead balls (연환/鉛丸)
50 fire arrows (화전/火箭); these are the hwajon
50 fire arrow shafts (화전죽/火箭竹)
20 fire arrow "devices", probably launchers? (화전기/火箭機)

So if these have launchers that indicates to me that yeah indeed they are rockets. Also the fact that they have the shafts separately from the arrows could indicate they were rockets with the motors attached and fundamentally separate. Where does this list come from?

Actually the two ones on the left are a chung or "medium" shingijon rocket, a so or "small" shingijon, and a hwajon incendiary arrow. However, it's possible the term hwajon also could refer to a rocket.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
East
Is that quote from the Nanjung Ilgi or the Imjin Changch'o?

I translated the list (I'm really familiar with the terminology):

New Weapons Provisions:
100 pounds of gunpowder (화약/火藥)
5,000 lead balls (연환/鉛丸)
50 fire arrows (화전/火箭); these are the hwajon
50 fire arrow shafts (화전죽/火箭竹)
20 fire arrow "devices", probably launchers? (화전기/火箭機)

So if these have launchers that indicates to me that yeah indeed they are rockets. Also the fact that they have the shafts separately from the arrows could indicate they were rockets with the motors attached and fundamentally separate. Where does this list come from?

Actually the two ones on the left are a chung or "medium" shingijon rocket, a so or "small" shingijon, and a hwajon incendiary arrow. However, it's possible the term hwajon also could refer to a rocket.
No. This quote is "kaksadongrok" in 1868.

The article is a report by the Navy of Chungcheong Province in 1868.

Unbelievable information, however, is said to have a case in which "Shin Kijeon" was called "Hwajeon" during the late Joseon Dynasty.

And "Hwajeon juk" and "Hwajeon ki" are probably what you think.

Similar History Discussions