Impeachment in the US

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Of course there was Watergate for Nixon......

But then it seems the threat of impeachment has been abused as a tactic by political ennemies to cripple whatever US president is in power

• There was the Iran Contra Affair for Reagan (who conviniently claimed to not remember, and was able to get away with minimum damage)
  • Then there was the Lewinsky affair with Clinton (probably the most ridiculous one)
  • There was a half hearted attempt to have a go at Bush Efforts to impeach George W. Bush - Wikipedia
  • Then was a silly attempt to discredit Obama by claiming he was not born in the US (and thus not eligible to be president)
  • And then of course for the past 2 years we've had the Russian connection story.

Now it seems it has petered out as well (to the great chagrin of CNN who have been claiming for the past 2 years that "you just wait and see" ... and in true dishonest media fashion have failed to apologize so far )

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/24/politics/mueller-report-release/index.html

So has the impeachment option in the US become counterproductive , in that it affords an opportunity for political adversaries to have a go at presidents ?
No other democracy has had such a string of attempts that I am aware of....

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Reagan also sabotaged Carter's efforts to free the hostages in Iran.

The Philippines has had numerous attempts at impeachment and I remember Russia tried to impeach Yeltsin.

RoryOMore

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
USA
President Nixon was not impeached. He resigned after articles of impeachment passed the House Judiciary Committee, but before the full House voted.

Among presidents, only Andrew Johnson and the current events guy have been impeached.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
President Nixon was not impeached. He resigned after articles of impeachment passed the House Judiciary Committee, but before the full House voted.

Among presidents, only Andrew Johnson and the current events guy have been impeached.
Yes, but his resignation was due to the threat of impeachment... Without this possibility, he might have gone on....

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US

Who? EDIT: it took me a few minutes to remember this one. I must be getting old or senile.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions