Imperial Germany allows mass immigration of skilled workers

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if Imperial Germany would have implemented an immigration policy which would have allowed skilled workers (in other words, high-IQ workers) to immigrate to Germany en masse?

The logic behind such an immigration policy would be to help Germany's population (something which would certainly be beneficial for Germany as it faces an increasingly powerful Russia next door) increase but also to reduce the risk of immigrants taking jobs away from Germans. If the immigrants to Germany will be skilled/high-IQ, then they will probably be more likely to create their own businesses and thus to create additional jobs for Germans.

Basically, I am thinking of a German immigration policy similar to the one that Canada and Australia have today--with one major exception. Specifically, due to the different values of the times, Germany's immigration policy is only going to accept Christians and Jews and not people of other religions. I strongly doubt that Germans would have been willing to accept a massive numbers of immigrants who are neither Christian nor Jewish in the late 19th and early 20th centuries--and even accepting a lot of Jews is going to be something which the German leadership is actually going to need to get its people to accept.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Also, just how much larger is Germany's population going to be in this scenario? In addition to this, what about if the World Wars never occur in this scenario?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For the record, I was also thinking of the German government actively recruiting smart individuals in other countries and giving them scholarships to study in Germany as well as a pathway to acquiring German citizenship. :)

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
What if Imperial Germany would have implemented an immigration policy which would have allowed skilled workers (in other words, high-IQ workers) to immigrate to Germany en masse?

The logic behind such an immigration policy would be to help Germany's population (something which would certainly be beneficial for Germany as it faces an increasingly powerful Russia next door) increase but also to reduce the risk of immigrants taking jobs away from Germans. If the immigrants to Germany will be skilled/high-IQ, then they will probably be more likely to create their own businesses and thus to create additional jobs for Germans.

Basically, I am thinking of a German immigration policy similar to the one that Canada and Australia have today--with one major exception. Specifically, due to the different values of the times, Germany's immigration policy is only going to accept Christians and Jews and not people of other religions. I strongly doubt that Germans would have been willing to accept a massive numbers of immigrants who are neither Christian nor Jewish in the late 19th and early 20th centuries--and even accepting a lot of Jews is going to be something which the German leadership is actually going to need to get its people to accept.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Also, just how much larger is Germany's population going to be in this scenario? In addition to this, what about if the World Wars never occur in this scenario?
From Where. Simply not going to happen.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
Sorry but this is a weird what if thats impossible to answer. There wasnt at all a religious unity back then and non christians such as ottomans were much were valuable allies to germanh than many other christian countries.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I know that at the beginning of WW2, more than ten percent of the German workforce was employed as domestic servants. It was apparently common for doctors, lawyers, and businessmen of the upper middle class to have one or more domestic servants. Assuming this was still true circa 1900, is it realistic that immigrants would get good jobs while so many Germans worked at low end jobs? I would think that the immigrants would become the domestic servants while the Germans moved up to higher jobs.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
From all over Europe and perhaps from the Ottoman Empire as well.

Skiiled workers would be doing well in their existing nation, why would the immigrate? It's not sector of society where immigrants were coming from generally.

What's the basis of attraction? Why not emigrate to the US? or britian? (where wages were higher and oppotnuites were widespread)

How is 'Skilled' determinied? by Who?

is there suddenly somehow going to a bureaucracy, banks, business freed of ideads about other races? To ge workable it's not just a Government policy but somehow a transformation of the entire German society to be more welcoming and accepting.,

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Skiiled workers would be doing well in their existing nation, why would the immigrate? It's not sector of society where immigrants were coming from generally.
Life is better in Germany than in Russia or Italy, no?

Indeed, skilled workers nowadays often move from poorer countries to wealthier countries because even if they can live well in their home countries, there are more opportunities in wealthier countries.

What's the basis of attraction? Why not emigrate to the US? or britian? (where wages were higher and oppotnuites were widespread)
It's possible that many did immigrate to the US or Britain. However, Germany still fared better than most of Europe even in 1890:

Thus, while Britain and the US might be more attractive destinations, Germany's wealth might also be sufficiently attractive for a certain number of skilled workers.

How is 'Skilled' determinied? by Who?
Well, how do Canada and Australia determine this? By a points system, correct?

Also, IQ tests could be a good way to find aspiring talent once such tests are developed.

is there suddenly somehow going to a bureaucracy, banks, business freed of ideads about other races? To ge workable it's not just a Government policy but somehow a transformation of the entire German society to be more welcoming and accepting.,
Yes, this might require a transformation of German society--specifically to one where anyone can be a good German regardless of their race. In this regard, Germany can look at the US for inspiration when it comes to good treatment of other White people (as in, other White ethnic groups). Also, this would obviously require a friendlier minorities policy at home--specifically a minorities policy which gives minorities in Germany sufficient autonomy to speak their own language and practice their own culture while encouraging non-coercive assimilation.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Sorry but this is a weird what if thats impossible to answer. There wasnt at all a religious unity back then and non christians such as ottomans were much were valuable allies to germanh than many other christian countries.
I'm talking about the people rather than the countries, though. I suspect that Christians and Jews would be easier to assimilate in 1900 Germany than, say, Muslims, Hindus, or Buddhists would be.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that at the beginning of WW2, more than ten percent of the German workforce was employed as domestic servants. It was apparently common for doctors, lawyers, and businessmen of the upper middle class to have one or more domestic servants. Assuming this was still true circa 1900, is it realistic that immigrants would get good jobs while so many Germans worked at low end jobs? I would think that the immigrants would become the domestic servants while the Germans moved up to higher jobs.
This could also work. Indeed, this seems like a win-win arrangement for both sides.

Basically, I don't want immigrants taking jobs from German natives unless German natives acquire better jobs. Also, it would be nice if immigrants created their own businesses and thus created additional jobs for Germans.