Imperial Spain vs Ottoman Empire

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Allies did not conquer Constantinople in WW1. They entered the city after the Ottomans had signed an armistice.

Mar 2016
Antalya
Because like I said early. After the Russo turkish war of 1770. There were agreement between western power to not destroy the ottoman empire in order to stop Russian progression. In the late 18th century and 19th century Russian arrived nearly the wall of Constantinople in every war but didn't continue in order to prevent a war with other western powers. Ottoman empire was a puppet-buffer state at this time.
You are shifting your goal posts. You said 18th century Ottoman Empire is a joke, now you are giving a specific date from late 18th century. Europeans supporting Ottoman Empire against Russia doesn't mean they have capacity to destroy it. Russian soldiers in the vicinity of Constantinople is probably the weakest point of the empire, but that took place in 19th century.

Gallipoli victory didn't stop the conquest of Constantinople by the allies. Of course at the same time Russian had taken Trabzon. The Russian revolution saved the turks at the end. It obliged Russian to go back to their land (the Russian high commandment had been killed by bolcheviks) and western powers gave back their conquest (and Constantinople) in order to fight against communist.

Ottoman were not strong.It just that their disappearance would distord the European power balance
The reason why Brits left Constantinople is because they had no capacity to fight. This is my first time hearing "Brits left Constantinople to fight commies". Further more, Russians saved Turks. Well, they also saved Europeans, when do you think slave raids to Eastern Europe has stopped by Tatars? Every event in history has bunch of side events affecting it. That's how world works.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
it is logical that the Ottoman empire centuries XI XII XIII XIV was larger than the Spanish empire the Spanish empire was only born when Portugal took the initiative of the maritime discoveries but was in the fifteenth century.

What a mania to say that spain is the best.
I remember 1964
A thousand pesetas was worth 300 escudos

Feb 2019
California
I don't understand where this idea that the Spanish and Ottomans did not fight except at sea comes from. It's certainly not accurate. An uneven record but with the balance against the Spanish, I would say.

Mar 2019
Belgium
You are shifting your goal posts. You said 18th century Ottoman Empire is a joke, now you are giving a specific date from late 18th century. Europeans supporting Ottoman Empire against Russia doesn't mean they have capacity to destroy it. Russian soldiers in the vicinity of Constantinople is probably the weakest point of the empire, but that took place in 19th century.

The reason why Brits left Constantinople is because they had no capacity to fight. This is my first time hearing "Brits left Constantinople to fight commies". Further more, Russians saved Turks. Well, they also saved Europeans, when do you think slave raids to Eastern Europe has stopped by Tatars? Every event in history has bunch of side events affecting it. That's how world works.

In 1770 The Ottoman Empire is totally finish. Everyone inside of the ottoman capital expect to see Russian walking into the city. Without the threat of the great European powers (France, GB, Prussia, Austria) against Russia, Ottoman Empire would have disappeared since the end of 1760s

You should read Martin Sicker's book "the islamic world in decline : from the treaty of karlowitz to the disintegration of the ottoman empire"

Nov 2010
Cornwall
I don't understand where this idea that the Spanish and Ottomans did not fight except at sea comes from. It's certainly not accurate. An uneven record but with the balance against the Spanish, I would say.
Where did you have in mind Buck? Unless you count Ottoman proxys like the Barbarossa brothers in North Africa. I suppose the very end of the siege of Malta might count.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Where did you have in mind Buck? Unless you count Ottoman proxys like the Barbarossa brothers in North Africa. I suppose the very end of the siege of Malta might count.
And also the campaigns in Balkan, in Czyprus, in Rhodes, in Romania, in Hungary (Still I remember a "monument" in Puszta... around 1989...) Spanish and Ottoman armies fought in many places in Mediterranean and Southeastern Europe... and also in North Africa. And Anatolia... but that was another history.

I would say 45% Spanish Victories, 40% Ottoman victories and 5% draws.