Implications that the GDP of Russia is equivalent of that of Guangdong, China

Jul 2009
Yet it outdone the US in Syria
Syria in and of itself has no importance for the US. It is neither a major market which needs to be protected nor is it a source of raw materials for western economies. For Russia, Syria is important politically as it is the only outpost in the Middle East where Russia is considered important.

The Russians and the Turks will eventually aggravate one another because the interests of both are different. OK. Turkey has been drifting away from NATO for some years (although they are never going to leave and lose the nuke umbrella), and the US has been less and less interested in the M.E. for several reasons, both economic and political. If the Russians want to get further into the middle of that mess, that is their business.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
How many Russians live at Guangdong?

Humor a part, there is a kind of distortion in this:

I work for a corporation which imports from China. There are some main hubs in that immense country. I can mention Shanghai, Ningbo, Guangdong, Shenzhen ... and sure Hong Kong.

We import from all of them. Now, the large part of Chinese corporations have got their headquarters in those hubs [and in China there are a few of enormous corporations].

So, it's about concentration of headquarters.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland

I work for a corporation which imports from China. There are some main hubs in that immense country. I can mention Shanghai, Ningbo, Guangdong, Shenzhen ... and sure Hong Kong.

We import from all of them. Now, the large part of Chinese corporations have got their headquarters in those hubs [and in China there are a few of enormous corporations].

Is it just me or others? Many people have the impression that some goods that are labelled "made in Italy" are "manufactured oversea and labelled in Italy".
I just ate some golden kiwi fruits from Italy, but they are of questionable quality.
OK, back to Russia.
The tenures of Gorbachev and Yeltsin were questionable.
Since I discussed Haile Selassie recently, I found that Gorbachev and Haile Selassie both have better foreign than domestic reputations.
Both were quite unable to resolve their domestic issues under their governments.
The tenure of Boris Yeltsin was known to be freer and more democratic than the tenure of Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev (arguably a puppet of Vladimir Putin), but the country experienced economic collapse and massive corruption.
Is it true that most of Russian economy is petroleum? Yes, Chinese immense demand for petroleum seems to keep the Russian economy running.

Jul 2009

Very many (if not most) corporations these days, that deal in manufactured goods, import from China :). The topic is relating economics that affect Russia to economics that affect China. Here is a question:

What do you, or any of the rest of us, buy that is manufactured in Russia?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Very many (if not most) corporations these days, that deal in manufactured goods, import from China :). The topic is relating economics that affect Russia to economics that affect China. Here is a question:

What do you, or any of the rest of us, buy that is manufactured in Russia?
I have spotted a few Russian or Soviet timepieces here and there; they are quite poorly built and do not usually keep time.
Earlier, China learned the Soviet timepiece technologies, but currently, Chinese timepiece industry is only behind Switzerland and Japan, and most (if not all) cases and external parts of Swiss watches are made in China.
Ikea has some of its products made in Russia.
Most noticeable Russian exports are grains and oil; I guess they mostly go to China.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I read that the USSR collapsed on December 25, 1991, and this is almost exactly 27 years.
We can review how the Russian Federation has done so far.
Economically, it has became increasingly dependent on oil extraction.
Can people tell me what is the current economic situation in Russia?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Umm. I don't know. Perhaps the arrival of Guangdong as a new superpower is virtually unstoppable now.
Not quite; Guangdong still has many underdeveloped areas.
The interesting issue is the development of Russia after its recovery since 1998.

Similar History Discussions