In British and French schools do you cover the African and Pacific theater or WW1?

Jul 2012
Somewhere
I curious to know if in British and French schools if he African, Middle East and Pacific theater of World War 1 is covered? At my school at least we do not go into any details about the Pacific and Atlantic theaters of World War 1. Just the European theater.

Louise C

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
Southeast England
I think we did cover WW1 when I was at school, but I don't remember any details about it.

Nowadays, they do WWI in secondary school, but how much attention is paid to the war in the Pacific I don't know.

Nov 2011
United Kingdom
Nope. But to be fair, we hardly look at the war itself. We look at what caused WWI and then what life was like in the trenches for soldiers. I think the Somme may get a passing mention but that's it for campaigns.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
I curious to know if in British and French schools if he African, Middle East and Pacific theater of World War 1 is covered? At my school at least we do not go into any details about the Pacific and Atlantic theaters of World War 1. Just the European theater.
Not in my day, but to be fair, not a lot happened in the Pacific worth mentioning, other than Tsingtao and Spee's cruise; while in Africa it was all about chasing von Lettow-Vorbeck and his crew.

Dec 2012
the middle east was mentioned where i whent to school but i cant blame them for not mentioning africa and the far east, cos not much happend there plus there is only so much they can teach in school and local history is valued more than what happend elsewhere unless what happend elsewhere was the decideing factor of the war which neither africa or the pacific was.

Jul 2012
Henley, England
I remember a bit of WWI when I was quite young at school but it was all pretty basic and focused on causes and the western front. At GCSE I learnt a bit more about other theatres in WWI including the eastern front through studying the russian revolution and a bit about the middle east when looking at the background to the arab-Israeli conflict. But I don't recall the African or pacific theatres appearing on the syllabus

Oct 2012
There was also a fairly significant naval battle off the Falklands where Admiral Spee's squadron was decisively defeated. But you can only cover so much in a survey course and if you're only going to mention one naval battle, it has to be the Battle of Jutland and if you're only going to mention one land conflict, it has to be the Battle of the Somme. If you want to get much more specific, you're going to have to find a class targeting what you're interested in, either that or just find a good book.