I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

One step close man. One step closer.

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
Drone Watch for January 12, 2012:

forbes.com (January 11, 2012) "The FAA's Secrecy Around Drones Sparks Lawsuit" by Kashmir Hill

A privacy and civil liberties group has been trying to find out who currently has the right to fly drones in the States, but the Federal Aviation Administration — the gov agency with the power to give out drone licenses — has failed to respond to the group’s FOIA request. Now the Electronic Frontier Foundation is suing the Department of Transportation to get its hands on those records.

Any drone flying over 400 feet needs a certification or authorization from the Federal Aviation Administration, part of the DOT. But there is currently no information available to the public about who specifically has obtained these authorizations or for what purposes. EFF filed a Freedom of Information Act request in April of 2011 for records of unmanned aircraft activities, but the DOT so far has failed to provide the information.

via Who Is Flying Unmanned Aircraft in the U.S.? | Electronic Frontier Foundation.

unclefred

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Oregon coastal mountains
The stonewalling on FOIA requests can go on for years, unfortunately. Some for decades. This topic reminds me of the scene in Robocop where the satellite targets and kills the former President of the US.

Nov 2009
Texas
The Montgomery County Sheriff's department, which had jurisdiction over where I used to live, just deployed their first drone.

Texas civil libertarians have eye on police drones - Houston Chronicle

I wonder if they regret taking that picture in hindsight. Sticking a controversial drone in front of two fully decked out SWAT officers and an APC probably wasn't the best way to ease people's minds about the drone's introduction.

I'm also curious as to how they have $300k to drop on that thing when all that's been in the news lately is how police force's around the country are having to cut back.

Dec 2010
New Orleans
The Montgomery County Sheriff's department, which had jurisdiction over where I used to live, just deployed their first drone.

Texas civil libertarians have eye on police drones - Houston Chronicle

I wonder if they regret taking that picture in hindsight. Sticking a controversial drone in front of two fully decked out SWAT officers and an APC probably wasn't the best way to ease people's minds about the drone's introduction.

I'm also curious as to how they have $300k to drop on that thing when all that's been in the news lately is how police force's around the country are having to cut back.
If I had to guess I'd say they had DHS grant money to spend. Police forces across the entire country have militarized significantly since 9-11 thanks to money provided their states by the DHS.

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
The Daily Mail has picked up on Napolitano's yawping about drones being used to keep an eye on US citizens (as if it were a new story). :zany:

The hoohaw seems to have been generated by a particular document. Interestingly, neither the Napolitano screed nor the Daily Mail chamber-pot slops linked above provide access to the document in question. For those who would like to check out what's got these folks so het up, here's a link to the "memorandum" (PDF file). The document clearly states:

This instruction neither authorizes any activity not previously authorized nor exempts anyone from any restrictions in DoD 5240.1-R.
DoD 5240.1-R (link) has been around for some time, and nobody squawked about it. Anybody who has followed this subject in the past few years could tell you that these instructions issued by the Secretary of the Air Force aren't breaking any new ground. Still, I thought that it would be good to provide easy access to the documents in question, in case any are interested.

I guess those of us who don't appreciate the US government (and others) using high tech to scrutinize its citizens should be appreciative of the fact that it's getting some attention now, but I can't help feeling a bit cynical about just how effective this noise will be in changing actual policy.

Last edited:

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
Anybody who hasn't been oblivious to the media has most likely heard about the most recent revelations regarding authorization of drone strikes against "enemy combatants" who happen to also be American citizens. This issue has been discussed extensively already here at Historum.

However, this thread is about drone surveillance. For wannabe civilian snoops, the technology is beginning to come online and be available using some things you might already have: "Flying video camera helicopter streams straight to your Android smartphone" | Connect

Similar History Discussions