In which ancient civilization were women most on a par with men?

Women were most on par with men in:

• Slavic realm

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Rome

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Greece

• Celtica

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Germanic world

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • China

• Egypt

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Sumer

• Native America

• India

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other - please elicit

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
Apr 2013
Palace of Knossos
There is no evidence to support this statement that I know of. about all the knowledge we have of Minoan women are a few paintings that show women, some frescoes in which women are apparently taking part in some kind of sport with bulls, and a couple of statues of women with bare breasts holding snakes. It takes quite a leap of the imagination to deduce from that that "women were above men."
Agreed, some people seem to think that the Minoans were matriarchal because they worshipped mainly goddesses and had few gods.

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
The Amazons, as mentioned by Herodotus, if they haven't been mentioned already and if indeed they existed.

Supposedly they lived round by the Black Sea or somewhere, there was an In Our Time episode a few weeks ago.

Aug 2012
The Amazons, as mentioned by Herodotus, if they haven't been mentioned already and if indeed they existed.

Supposedly they lived round by the Black Sea or somewhere, there was an In Our Time episode a few weeks ago.
But didn't the Amazons force women to cut their own breasts off? Due to it hindering their ability to fire a bow and arrow?
I don't know if female rulers can be considered a positive thing if they force the women under them to forsake their femininity.

Dec 2011
Monterrey, Mexico
I have noticed that, the more 'civilized' the societies get, the more screwed the gender inequality is.

For example, barbarian women vs Roman women, North American native women vs contemporary European women, Indian non-tribal women vs Indian tribal women etc etc

Good observation, I would say, however that it depends not on civilization, but on density and number of the population. In tribes or small societies, say a few thousands, hundreds or even tenths, everyone knows each other, and if half of the population is heavily suppressed, they can easily organize and defend themselves. The society needs women, so they give up. In large societies however, such as empires, a big organized women defence would be an extremely difficult thing to do, so they couldnt defend themselves. In smaller societies, they could. Remember, its not only tribes and barbarians.
In the modern world, its easier to defend themselves with help of the media, gloablization, etc.

Apr 2010
Loch na Seilg, Alba
I'm predictably going to give my vote to Celtica. The Cain Adomnan ought to carry it by itself, really, as no other civilisation would come up with something similar for a thousand years.