In which countries that subsequently became independent was there a lot of support for colonialism among the natives up to the very end?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In which countries that subsequently became independent was there a lot of support for colonialism among the natives up to the very end? For instance, I know that Central Asian countries only reluctantly acquired their independence at the end of 1991 and that they would have preferred to keep the Soviet Union just as long as they would have received sufficient autonomy. Anyway, which other cases of this were there?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yes, certainly! Most of Hong Kong's population in the 1990s was Han Chinese, correct? And yet they still preferred British rule to Chinese rule--perhaps due to China's authoritarianism and totalitarianism.
Most of Hong Kong's population was Cantonese speaking Southern Chinese, who didn't feel a lot in common with Mandarin speaking mainlanders.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Most of Hong Kong's population was Cantonese speaking Southern Chinese, who didn't feel a lot in common with Mandarin speaking mainlanders.
Do Cantonese people in China feel a lot in common with Chinese Mandarin-speakers?

The native tribes of North America fought on the side of the United Kingdom against the US rebels, correct?
Yes, I think so--at least most of them.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
What did I JUST say in that post?
The more pertinent question would be whether the Cantonese on the mainland would prefer to be part of China or a colony of the UK. Frankly, I'd be rather surprised if it was the latter. Yet even so, the Cantonese of Hong Kong preferred British rule to Chinese.