In which countries that subsequently became independent was there a lot of support for colonialism among the natives up to the very end?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Often population prefer to remain under European Power that become independent.... in Cuba and Puerto Rico in 1898, in Algeria in 1962 or in Angola and Mozambique in 1975...Pro-Independence groups are often a minority that uses violence and seeks international support to create problems for the sovereign country.
Puerto Rico might very well be accurate, but what is the source for your information about these other colonies? For instance, Algeria had an independence referendum in 1962 and these were the results:

1962 Algerian independence referendum - Wikipedia

I get that the pro-French people (or at least most of them) in Algeria abstained in this referendum, but even so, almost six million votes in favor of independence was a majority of Algeria's adult population, no? Perhaps even a solid majority.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Some large sections of the Taiwanese society remember their Japanese colonial period very fondly.

We can also say about Timor Leste during the Indonesian occupation (1975-1999), I bet that almost the majority of the Timorese population during that period supported the old Portuguese colonialism.
East Timor had a Catholic majority, so it can understood why their integration with Muslim Indonesia was problematic. Even in Goa many Catholics preferred Portuguese rule and they even migrated to Portugal, although due to region's Hindu majority, integration was smooth with India.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Puerto Rico might very well be accurate, but what is the source for your information about these other colonies? For instance, Algeria had an independence referendum in 1962 and these were the results:

1962 Algerian independence referendum - Wikipedia

I get that the pro-French people (or at least most of them) in Algeria abstained in this referendum, but even so, almost six million votes in favor of independence was a majority of Algeria's adult population, no? Perhaps even a solid majority.

Well... in 1962... most of Black Foots were running from Algeria.. .but you can ask them (or millions argelian, for example, Zinadin Zidane.. a Kabilia) if they were better being algerian or French?

About Puerto Rico you know as well as me.

Regards