In which historical period was Italy at its best?

In which historical period was Italy at its best?

• Archaic Italy (1000 BC - 300 BC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rise of the Roman Republic (300 BC- 27 BC)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Pax Augusta of the Roman Empire (27 BC- 180 AD)

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Crisis of the third century AD

• Late Antiquity (330-800)

• Formation of the HRE (800-1000)

• Commercial Revolution (1000-1300)

• Renaissance & Counter-Reformation (1300-1648)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Foreign domination (1648-1848)

• Risorgimento & Liberal Italy (1848-1922)

• Fascism (1922-1945)

• Italian Republic (1946-ongoing)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
Jan 2017
Italy, EU
As an Italian, I'm curious to know what do you think about this.

I made a mistake. I wanted to put the beginning of Late Antiquity for Italy at 300 not 330.

Last edited:

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
This is a tough one. Each period has its ups and downs, moments proud, moments not so proud, and its events resonating with glory and failure.

If I were to look at this from a comparative history POV, reflective of Italy compared to contemporary regions, I might go with the early republic or Pax Augusta.

Although, the brilliance of the rinascimento italiano is so distinctive that it warrants heavy consideration.

I'm still pondering on which one to go with.

Jul 2016
Just outside the Rust Belt
The most exciting and interesting to live in? Rise of the Republic. Best time to live in? Likely the Pax Romana under the 5 Good Emperors. A entire lifetime to live of no large scale war, a plague at the end, but mostly good harvests, the only time in history a entire world it must've seem had no anxiety about the future. No neighbors to fear, no doubts the future was theirs to own.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
The question seems easy if you simply ask about the quality of life. Modern life despite its stresses has even most of the poorest in Italy having better lives than the Roman Emperors unless you consider social status a primary attribute but then for the average person all previous eras were questionable and only the privileged few had much social status.

If the question is when was Italy the best amongst contemporaries then it would be the Pax Augusta.

Reactions: Futurist

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Definitely the Pax Augusta, the quality of life in that period was on par with the eighteenth century, and Italy was at the apex of its power.
I tend to share this opinion. The competitors are the Renaissance and Liberal Italy, but in the first case Italy wasn't [while under Augustus Italy was a cohesive territory, the same after the birth of the Italian Kingdom] and in the second case the quality of life for the general populations [overall in rural areas] wasn't nice. I would even say that some swampy areas were in worst conditions than in Roman time.

Sep 2018
Roman Empire
I tend to share this opinion. The competitors are the Renaissance and Liberal Italy, but in the first case Italy wasn't [while under Augustus Italy was a cohesive territory, the same after the birth of the Italian Kingdom] and in the second case the quality of life for the general populations [overall in rural areas] wasn't nice. I would even say that some swampy areas were in worst conditions than in Roman time.
Indeed, in the Renaissance Italy was essentially the battlefield of other European forces, and for the swamps, those are what killed Cavour in 1861, coupled with extensive bloodletting.

Jul 2019
singh12devil
Need Assignment Help?

I am David Tylor. I am an academic content writer and editor, associated with GotoAssignmentHelp for a decade. GotoAssignmentHelp is leading plagiarism free assignment writing company. We provide customized assignment help online service. We are leading the market for more than a decade now and have acquired the name of being the best academic help service for our comprehensive services at pocket-friendly rates.

We are proud of our best assignment help Australia experts because of their dedication providing continuous support to students by helping them meet deadlines and scoring better grades. We understand how important academic assessments are in developing a student's career and future opportunities, this is why we take extreme measures to ensure that all our solutions are best-in-class. All students looking for can reach us and avail. We are also provide online C++ Assignment Help and from our Assignment help Australia academic experts.