In your opinion what was more powerful/influential overall, the Spanish Colonial Empire or French Colonial Empire?

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
In my time of school, 60s to 70s the French language was for commerce the English language was and is the universal language as it is today.

Today Portugal has perhaps 1.5 million Portuguese who speak French.
English is more spoken in Portugal than the French

Apr 2019
United States
Spain by far.

It introduced foodstuffs to Europe, and has bar Brazil of course shaped central/South America.

Spanish colonialism laid the foundation for what colonialism was to Europe, in terms of conquest and extraction of native resources.

France's major holding were initially in North America, but later in Africa, and most of this was desert cultures/regions.

Spain and Britain were the two outstanding European empires, in various means.
I agree. Definitely starting to think Spain has the edge over France.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Tulius talvez hoje,antes era o Inglês depois o françes me refiro a meu tempo de escola anos 60 a 70

Tulius perhaps today, before was the English after the French I refer to my school time from 60 to 70 years

Apr 2019
United States
Welcome to Historum! You will find many threads here that look for the bigger/greater/most powerful. Since often is a question of perspective and of the timeline, an objective answer is hard to find.

Spanish Empire is older had its peak sooner than the French and lasted longer, so today we seem to see a great inheritance from Spain in cultural terms. The Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world as native after the Mandarin/Chinese, and it is among the most spoken as the second language with a crescent influence in the USA.

I just quoted these two sentences from your last post because both are in some way doubtful or not totally correct. The gold that came from America to Spain was both from North America and South America. And the silver went in a bigger quantity. The second is that if the introduction of new crops in Europe from America was quite important, it is questionable that the American Colonies helped to grow the Spanish Economy, on the contrary if we see how the economy went from the final of the 16th century and during most of the 17th due the problems related with the inflation ignited precisely the American Gold and Silver. Wikipedia has the basics on this: Economic history of Spain - Wikipedia
ok i will read that article and thanks for posting this

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
ok i will read that article and thanks for posting this
For the essential, you don’t need to read all the entry, just this part:

“[…]However, the large volumes of precious metals from America led to inflation, which had a negative effect on the poorer part of the population, as goods became overpriced. This also hampered exports, as expensive goods could not compete in international markets. Moreover, the large cash inflows from silver hindered the industrial development in Spain as entrepreneurship seems to be indispensable.[1]

Domestic production was heavily taxed, driving up prices for Aragon and Castile-made goods, but especially in Castile where the tax burden was greater. The sale of titles to entrepreneurs who bought their way up the social ladder (a practice commonly found all over Europe), removing themselves from the productive sector of the economy, provided additional funds.

The overall effect of plague and emigration reduced peninsular Spain's population from over 8 million in the last years of the 16th century to under 7 million by the mid-17th century, with Castile the most severely affected region […]”

Pardon me about the previous comment about the gold coming also from North America, but here I find odd that many users from the USA refer to the “Mexico” as South America. It is like in Europe a person from Norway referring Denmark as South Europe.