In your opinion what was more powerful/influential overall, the Spanish Colonial Empire or French Colonial Empire?

Apr 2019
United States
For the essential, you don’t need to read all the entry, just this part:

“[…]However, the large volumes of precious metals from America led to inflation, which had a negative effect on the poorer part of the population, as goods became overpriced. This also hampered exports, as expensive goods could not compete in international markets. Moreover, the large cash inflows from silver hindered the industrial development in Spain as entrepreneurship seems to be indispensable.[1]

Domestic production was heavily taxed, driving up prices for Aragon and Castile-made goods, but especially in Castile where the tax burden was greater. The sale of titles to entrepreneurs who bought their way up the social ladder (a practice commonly found all over Europe), removing themselves from the productive sector of the economy, provided additional funds.

The overall effect of plague and emigration reduced peninsular Spain's population from over 8 million in the last years of the 16th century to under 7 million by the mid-17th century, with Castile the most severely affected region […]”

Pardon me about the previous comment about the gold coming also from North America, but here I find odd that many users from the USA refer to the “Mexico” as South America. It is like in Europe a person from Norway referring Denmark as South Europe.
Yup I just read it and the gold and silver did cause inflation but what was the negative effect of the foods

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Yup I just read it and the gold and silver did cause inflation but what was the negative effect of the foods
Of the foods… none that I recall… apart from too much chocolate in the European bellies…. :D

And you seem to be very knowledgeable on history so could you check out my top 20 civilizations list and give your opinion on it?
I was and still am a history student, Often a teacher, so I have to know some generics about history, at least about Portuguese history, but the gaps are often bigger than the knowledge. About the thread, my first comment, with my Portuguese bias, would be that the Portuguese Empire in a surprising way is not on the list as a possibility. After all we are talking about a group of 20 entities. I will post there.

Oct 2013
Europix
Around the 30 Years War/Middle of the 17th century?
Something like that, I suppose.

It's two slightly different things: Latin, that was used for very long for official written documents, and French, that became a prestige language much earlier than we think, and the diplomatic spoken language quit early.

I don't have the data at hand, but French was used internationally (well, mostly Europe) already in the early Renaisance.

(if my memory doesn't fail me, Marco Polo dictated his memoires in French, for example)