In your opinion, what were the greatest Middle Eastern Empires ever?

Feb 2019
Thrace
I don't know about that. The Ottomans were extremely powerful in the Renaissance and had a very well trained military. Achaemenid Persia was 2nd though. I made a mistake putting the Abbasids above the Persians
At its peak, the Achaemenid Empire is the largest empire ever by share of population(44% of the World), and according to estimates, they could raise a bigger army than the Ottomans could even if they precede them by almost 2000 years. Not to mention the cultural impact via Zoroastrianism which heavily influenced both the West and the East is enormous. I don't know by what metric do the Ottomans compare with them.

Apr 2019
United States
At its peak, the Achaemenid Empire is the largest empire ever by share of population(44% of the World), and according to estimates, they could raise a bigger army than the Ottomans could even if they precede them by almost 2000 years. Not to mention the cultural impact via Zoroastrianism which heavily influenced both the West and the East is enormous. I don't know by what metric do the Ottomans compare with them.
kind of starting to agree with you now

Reactions: Openminded
Mar 2016
Australia
What is interesting to note is that in contrast to European imperialism, Middle Eastern empires didn't suck out life outta the region.... The region may not recover from European imperialism for centuries to come..
Ah yes, the typical excuse for not solving your own problems in the modern day. The Middle East was ruled by huge Muslim empires for fifteen hundred years, but the only thing that has any impact on the modern day is thirty years of European involvement. Sounds completely logical....

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hard to say what the greatest was, since there are so many different factors that contribute to one being great, and it's entirely subjective. In terms of sheer geographical size, then the Umayyad Caliphate would be the greatest, followed by the Achaemenid Persian Empire and the Seljuk Empire. From a cultural and intellectual perspective, it could be argued that the Abbasids and Fatimids were the greatest since their time in power saw a flourishing of science and cultural achievements. Or finally, in terms of longevity and military acumen, the Ottomans are a worthy contender. Since deciding what is "greatest" is so difficult, I'm going going to go with my personal favourite, which is the Ottoman Empire. I find Early Modern empires to generally be more interesting than medieval empires.
Agreed with your lists and analysis here. BTW, do you consider Israel to be an empire given its occupation of the West Bank and Golan Heights?

Mar 2016
Australia
Agreed with your lists and analysis here. BTW, do you consider Israel to be an empire given its occupation of the West Bank and Golan Heights?
No. Occupying land that is highly contested does not in and of itself make a country an empire. Obviously there are many ways to define what is an empire - literally having an emperor, or ruling over kings, or having a diversity of peoples of different cultures and religions under your rule, etc - but Israel doesn't really fit any category. Having an ethnically and religiously diverse country nowadays does not constitute an empire, and their territorial size is still very small.

Mar 2019
KL
babylon must be the one, their influence on western asia was huge.

cordoba and then Grenada was also very good considering it was an extension of umayyad caliphate.

third would be Phoenicians

persians, abbasids are truly hyped to be honest. but in terms of their land area they were biggest in the middle east.

regards

Last edited:
Apr 2019
United States

cordoba and then Grenada was also very good considering it was an extension of umayyad caliphate.

third would be Phoenicians

persians, abbasids are truly hyped to be honest. but in terms of their land area they were biggest in the middle east.

regards
Wait Babylon and Phoenicia and Cordoba in tope 3?! Achaemenid Persia had amazing roads and military and held 44% of the world's population. Abbasid Caliphate was a scientific and cultural golden age and it lasted for hundreds of years. I don't think Phoenicia or Babylon and certainly not Cordoba come close to rivaling those spots

Mar 2019
KL
Wait Babylon and Phoenicia and Cordoba in tope 3?! Achaemenid Persia had amazing roads and military and held 44% of the world's population. Abbasid Caliphate was a scientific and cultural golden age and it lasted for hundreds of years. I don't think Phoenicia or Babylon and certainly not Cordoba come close to rivaling those spots
babylon influenced europe and west asia a lot, cordoba because i consider it much better than abbasid in terms of its achievements in arts and culture, phoenicia because they were a maritime empire and founded a big trading empire and probably gave a lot of history to north africa, their asian counterparts would be majapahit etc.

regards

Oct 2016
Merryland

regards
+1 on Babylon
the Head of Gold in the Bible
we still talk about the Hanging Gardens

anging-gardens-of-babylon-e1486076635532-1024x622.png
plus, they had a dragon!
ishtar gate dragon.jpg

I have no respect for the Assyrians cuz of their cruelty.