In your opinion, what were the greatest Middle Eastern Empires ever?

Mar 2016
Australia
I have no respect for the Assyrians cuz of their cruelty.
Unfortunately historical reality isn't really concerned by if you respect an empire or not. The fact is that their achievements were massive and important, and they shouldn't be dismissed because they don't adhere to your modern moral sensibilities. Because of the nature of empires, especially ancient ones, none of them would. They all used violence and fear to assert their rule, just in varying degrees.

Oct 2016
Merryland
Unfortunately historical reality isn't really concerned by if you respect an empire or not. The fact is that their achievements were massive and important, and they shouldn't be dismissed because they don't adhere to your modern moral sensibilities. Because of the nature of empires, especially ancient ones, none of them would. They all used violence and fear to assert their rule, just in varying degrees.
obviously 'expansionism' in the ancient world equaled 'violence'
but most armies didn't deliberately blind prisoners of war on a mass scale
or relocate thousands of the conquered out of their homes
I don't consider conquering and enslaving other nation-states to be much of an achievement

10 Horrors Of Being Invaded By The Assyrian Army

Mar 2016
Australia
I don't consider conquering and enslaving other nation-states to be much of an achievement
Then literally no empire ever would have achieved anything worthy, by your ridiculously modern standards of achievement. Are you unable to view history through the lens of perspectives and morals of the time, rather than getting upset because people 2,000 years ago didn't share the same moral attitudes you do today? That seems like a fundamentally incorrect way to read and discuss history.

Mar 2016
Australia
I wouldn't say the Roman Empire was Middle Eastern. Just because it included a lot of territory in the Middle East doesn't mean that defines their empire. Same reason we don't call the Ottomans a European empire because of their territory in Greece and the Balkans. They originated in Europe, and their cultural identity came from Europe.

Mar 2016
Antalya
No one is able to list an Ancient Empire of Anatolia?
At its peak, the Achaemenid Empire is the largest empire ever by share of population(44% of the World), and according to estimates, they could raise a bigger army than the Ottomans could even if they precede them by almost 2000 years. Not to mention the cultural impact via Zoroastrianism which heavily influenced both the West and the East is enormous. I don't know by what metric do the Ottomans compare with them.
Where did you get this percentage (44%) ? Can you point me to some sources? Do also point out demographic sources and estimates that you mention. I find these figures highly unlikely.

Feb 2014
Miami
Here would be my top 3:
1. The Ottoman Empire
2. The Abbasid Caliphate
3. Achaemenid Persia
Lol you said the ones I would have said. Damnit. I’ll have to pick others now.

Neoassyrian Empire was the best of its time

Ummayads are under appreciated for how much conquest they did before their fall. They even nearly captured Constantinople.

The new kingdom of Egypt culturally was magnificent and a power of its day alongside with the Hattians.