In your opinion, which was the most important world events in the 10th century BC?

Mar 2014
Stockholm
I am doing a hobby project about the 10th millienium BC on YouTube and I wanted to check with you knowledgeable fellows regarding which events you feel are the most important during that time.

So between 1000 BC and 900 BC, what events do you immediatly think of?

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Deleted

Wrong reading of the date as 10th millennium.

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Stockholm
I am doing a hobby project about the 10th millienium BC on YouTube and I wanted to check with you knowledgeable fellows regarding which events you feel are the most important during that time.

So between 1000 BC and 900 BC, what events do you immediatly think of?
*Bows head in shame* Typical. I make my first post and manage to screw it up. In the title I got it right but in the text I made a mistake.

Clarification: The project is about the 10th Century BC, not the 10th Millenium BC. The period 1000 BC - 900 BC

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Somewhere around 1000 to 900 BC is when King David captured Jerusalem, and made it his capital. That's also when King David and Solomon ruled.

Mar 2014
Stockholm
Somewhere around 1000 to 900 BC is when King David captured Jerusalem, and made it his capital. That's also when King David and Solomon ruled.
Yes, that is correct. However, it seems that archaeology and non-biblical sources support very little in the old testament before Omri (who might have ruled Isreal 884 - 873 BC). From what I have read it seems that unified Israel under David has no non-biblical support, making it a touchy subject.

My initial plan was to avoid the old testament as a source before Omri (or his son, Ahab, who is actually mentioned by Shalmaneserer III of Assyria as one of his opponents at the battle of Qarqar in 853 BC)

This puts me in an interesting spot when it comes to Hiram of Tyre, who I am just about to cover, because if you can't trust the Old Testament for the 970s, there is really zero information about him. But that is a separate thread (let me know if I am breaking any forum rules by making that a separate thread)

Mar 2014
Stockholm
So far the biggest event I have found is Adad-Nirari II kick-starting the neo-assyrian empire in 911 BC. Not a lot happens within the 10th century BC, though, but the action really kicks off in the 9th century

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Either foundation of the Old kingdoms of Judah or perhaps spread of Zoraster's preaching.

We don't really know what the Olmec's were doing and kingdom of Zhou was status quo state in that century I think.

Mar 2014
Stockholm
Either foundation of the Old kingdoms of Judah or perhaps spread of Zoraster's preaching.

We don't really know what the Olmec's were doing and kingdom of Zhou was status quo state in that century I think.

Judah's foundation seems hard to confirm in the 10th century BC. The archaeological and non-biblical sources seems to be saying 9th century BC.

Which decade would you place Zoraster in? When I did 2 minutes of reading on him, the historians seem unsure of which millenium (!) to place him in, ranging from 1800 BC to 330 BC

I wish we knew more about the Olmecs. They fascinate me.

The death of king Zhao of Zhou is something I will cover as I found it to be quite an interesting story

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Yes, that is correct. However, it seems that archaeology and non-biblical sources support very little in the old testament before Omri (who might have ruled Isreal 884 - 873 BC). From what I have read it seems that unified Israel under David has no non-biblical support, making it a touchy subject.

My initial plan was to avoid the old testament as a source before Omri (or his son, Ahab, who is actually mentioned by Shalmaneserer III of Assyria as one of his opponents at the battle of Qarqar in 853 BC)

This puts me in an interesting spot when it comes to Hiram of Tyre, who I am just about to cover, because if you can't trust the Old Testament for the 970s, there is really zero information about him. But that is a separate thread (let me know if I am breaking any forum rules by making that a separate thread)
True, it is currently a major scholarly debate whether King David and Solomon actually existed. But they were the only thing I could think of for the 10th century BC. Earlier, we have the Myceneans, and later the Assyrians. I can't think of anything for China or India at that time either.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Well alot of what we know for 10 century is not confirmed and open for debate especially concerning major events as recorded more often in myth than anything else. If you want concrete events the spread of better iron technology was ongoing but was spread across more than a single century even if that is probably more impactful for civilization than the rise or fall of any single kingdom.