Increasing Islamophobia in the west

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
As for discrimination

1573323331563.jpeg

Starkly reminiscent of "whites only" but not a peep from anyone, certainly not from the millions of muslims visiting the place every year.... Discriminating against non muslims, is....... just fine apparently.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Reactions: hansolo

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
It really isn't, that's what I'm trying to tell you. South Africa is the most unequal society in the world, which means that the poor are really dirt poor, and there's a hell of a lot of them. Violence, including state violence is through the roof (see Marikana massacre for example, and realize no one has gone to jail over that yet). It's not a safe country compared many places in Africa, including my home, Ghana. There have been killings of Ghanaians and many other African nationalities in the streets of SA, for no other reason than their nationality. We don't kill foreign nationals over here in Ghana, and we cater to South African migrants as well. The question of legality of lgbt marriage in Ghana needs to be addressed, but the simple truth is that homosexuality is practiced openly in Ghana, we even have gay night clubs... Homophobia is a problem here, as it is in most countries, but homosexuals were still facing regular violence in Belgium when I was there, as in America, but actual violence angainst homosexuals in Ghana is relatively rare, and we have 17,5% muslim population. In fact, Islamophobia exists here as well, but it felt a lot more virulent in the West when I was there. Muslims and Christians have historically intermarried here, it's not even a big deal most of the time (the kids usually decide which religion they follow by the time they reach adulthood, so we end up with people called Mahamadou going to church and things like that)... It's only a problem if people want it to be a problem (when politics, money and foreign influence get involved).
Islam does not allow muslimas to marry non muslims.... Muslim men are allowed to marry christians and jews.... So I dont know how they do it in Ghana, but likely intermarriage is limited to muslim men as it is in most other places

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It is even worse than that

In the UK for example , pakistani gangs have been basically allowed to rape thousands of young girls in various cities for years with the police and politicians being afraid to act for fear of being called racist and/or islamophobe (which to some is the same)

There are , luckily less violent, many other examples of either islamists or simply individuals of muslim background that were not called out for actions that anyone else would have been called on, because again , the fear of being labelled racist or islamophobe held back those who would normally react to such actions....
Yes, leftists have found bashing White people as a solution of all problems.

Here, In Europe the Pakistanis would sing a song about equality, secular principles, combating Islamophobia, would contest elections. Back home Hinduphobia and Christianphobia is all palatable.

Pakistan National Assembly rejects Bill to allow non-Muslims to become country’s President, Prime Minister

Reactions: hansolo

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
There is a definite rise of Islamophobia in the West. I grew up in Belgium and have seen things become a lot worse since 9/11, which has catalysed anti-muslim sentiments beyond what they already were. I'm a dark brown man with a big beard, and people often just assume I'm a muslim (I'm not). As a result, I've curiously experienced some Islamophobia (mostly just unprovoked insults) and I can tell you it's often completely irrational, more often than not founded in prejudice and ignorance. Curiously I've had many interactions with Poles and other East Europeans over a period of a few years, and although they were often completely hostile to me at first, they actually became totally friendly to me once they realized I wasn't a Muslim. That's weird, because I never gave them a reason to be hostile. The hostility was rooted in nothing more than their perception of me as a muslim. I have Muslim, Christian, Jewish and Atheist friends, and it's obvious that the Muslims receive the most hostility and even hatred, almost always unprovoked (my friends aren't jihadists or terrorist apologists or whatever). In the city I came from, vandalization of mosques or leaving a severed pig head at the mosque entrance became uncomfortably common before I left. On my facebook page, I've seen regular calls to genocide and/or total expulsion of Muslims from Europe, by "regular" people I've known for years, especially after a terror attack. Police never take action against any of these people or people who voice even more violent ideas. When Muslims express such violent ideas on social media they're picked up by police for questioning. I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just saying that there's an obvious double standard.
It is simply not true that such actions are not prosecuted

A man who broke into a mosque and left a slice of raw bacon has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

A man who placed bacon on the doors of a Bristol mosque has died in prison while serving a 12-month sentence.
Kevin Crehan was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court in July for racially-aggravated public disorder.
Rashers of bacon were placed on the door handles of the Jamia mosque in Totterdown in January.

Neither is it true that "When Muslims express such violent ideas on social media they're picked up by police for questioning"... certainly not all by a very far cry (though a few particularly odious extremists might be, now and then)... The evidence for that is quite simple... There is for example a watch list in France of some 10 000+ islamists and even THEY are not being picked up for questionning.... Which allowed several of them to commit terror attacks... The latest one, was actually someone who worked.... at police headquarters... and HE was not questionned, nor fired as he should have been.... One day he came in with a knife and killed 4 people.......

Last edited:
Jul 2019
Ghana
It is simply not true that such actions are not prosecuted
I didn't say that acts of vandalism weren't prosecuted. I said that people who call for genocide and mass expulsion of muslims by violent means if necessary, aren't picked up for questioning, while perceived muslim sympathisers of terrorism are, even though there has been enough proliferation of white nationalist terrorism lately to be just as concerned about those ideologies, as there is reason to be concerned about jihadists.

Reactions: Ashoka maurya

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
So you have zero arguments

Islamic head scarf is imposed by violence on tens of millions of women... and is a symbol for the muslim brotherhood and other terror organizations... You are aware of that so , you are deflecting
Its a common sense situation yes?

Whats wrong with a Muslim wearing religious clothing of his or her own free will?

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
It really isn't, that's what I'm trying to tell you. South Africa is the most unequal society in the world, which means that the poor are really dirt poor, and there's a hell of a lot of them. Violence, including state violence is through the roof (see Marikana massacre for example, and realize no one has gone to jail over that yet). It's not a safe country compared many places in Africa, including my home, Ghana. There have been killings of Ghanaians and many other African nationalities in the streets of SA, for no other reason than their nationality. We don't kill foreign nationals over here in Ghana, and we cater to South African migrants as well. The question of legality of lgbt marriage in Ghana needs to be addressed, but the simple truth is that homosexuality is practiced openly in Ghana, we even have gay night clubs... Homophobia is a problem here, as it is in most countries, but homosexuals were still facing regular violence in Belgium when I was there, as in America, but actual violence angainst homosexuals in Ghana is relatively rare, and we have 17,5% muslim population. In fact, Islamophobia exists here as well, but it felt a lot more virulent in the West when I was there. Muslims and Christians have historically intermarried here, it's not even a big deal most of the time (the kids usually decide which religion they follow by the time they reach adulthood, so we end up with people called Mahamadou going to church and things like that)... It's only a problem if people want it to be a problem (when politics, money and foreign influence get involved).
Chicago has mass shooting issues every weekend. I have lived in the US my whole life and we have areas that are impoverished with high crime rates...a clear difference of living between the haves and have nots. I also have dated a lady from Rwanda, she said there are nice areas in her country, I dont know much of Ghana..but ok thanks for the information about your experience in Ghana. But the major point is even with the reports of crimes in South Africa...we have to compare South Africa to other western countries and the USA has just as much if not a bigger crime issue compared to South Africa. Instances of hate crimes occur even in the most free and liberal societies. I did not say or believe South Africa is the greatest country in the world, but its not a big deal nor is it wrong to say South Africa because of its laws on the books is a liberal country. But I would rather live in a country that has liberal laws and instances of crimes compared to countries with non liberal laws and instances of crime.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Its a common sense situation yes?

Whats wrong with a Muslim wearing religious clothing of his or her own free will?
I wouldn't call it "free will". A better term would be brainwashed will. Having said that, most women wear it because their men insist on it.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
I wouldn't call it "free will". A better term would be brainwashed will. Having said that, most women wear it because their men insist on it.
My sister is a Muslim and covers everything except her eyes and does so freely. She is a great lady with a college degree and a great parent. Many in our world men and women wear some sort of Religious garb and do so freely.

Would you agree that a improper Government is one that says to for example not allow intermarriage or ban immigration based on religion?

Would you be in favor of banning Muslims from visiting or immigrating to your country?

Reactions: Ashoka maurya